E1A Major 6

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
Dingbat
Not Quite Blue Yet

E1A Major 6

Post by Dingbat »

Hello all, Am new to the forum and wondered if anyone new whether the fuel and oil filters on my Thames Trader Mk2 engine are the same as on the original E1A Major? Also anyone know a good company to get engine service parts for the same? Ta.

1962 model
True Blue

Re: E1A Major 6

Post by 1962 model »

Hello dingbat,
your id does not show a country, which may cause some confusion.
There seems to be different filters used in different counties.
There were Fram, Tecalament and other brands of filter housings used and pipes to these filters varied.

Final assembly of both tractors and trucks occurred in many different countries and accordingly it is possible that filters specific to those countries could have been fitted.

The truck and Tractor engines ( despite some statemants made ) were made and assembled at the same Dagenham plant in the period 1957 to 63, so I would think they would have at least some of the same fuel filters fitted, but this woud depend if these were fitted during shipment to the revevant country.

The 590 E fitted to trucks had a larger diameter oil filter which is shorter than the New Major ones, so this one is definately different, there is a severe trap here for those converting a tractor to 590 E as only the early long ones from the New Major must be used on the 590 E conversions, as the later shorter Power Major/ Super Major ones don't have sufficient capacity for a 6 cylinder engine!
The Fuel filters from the 590 E engines ( I have 6 of them ) had a glass fuel bowl on the injection pump to remove water then two of the filters of the type found on the E 1 A tractors as a secondry type, they do not use the same water and sediment trap used on tractors.
Here in Australia the primary filter consisted of a water trap and a wound cord type filter with a secondry filter of a more conventional type, I don't know if the primary filters are still available, and some people subsitute another type of filter.

It seems that some countries only have the one fuel filter on the tractors, but I could be wrong as some had a glass bowl at the fuel tap.

Hope that answers your question?

Mike