New Project, The Holy Grail, County Super 6

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
Steven B
True Blue

New Project, The Holy Grail, County Super 6

Post by Steven B »

I have been very busy the last three years since my Dad passed away. I have sold all my Ford cars and used the money to buy a house in England. We were going to move there ASAP but circumstances mean I will stay here for at least 5 years.

Since I have got all the cars and motor bikes sold I have almost finished the Dexta. Just as I thought I had enough on my plate project wise the Holy Grail turned up and I could not resist.

Deposit paid and a 1200 mile round trip ahead in the old Ford D Series to pick up my latest project. A 1964 Fordson County Super 6 serial no 15101, one of the last made and probably left the County factory in 1965. It has a huge blade that will be removed. Condition is not great but this is the second Super 6 I have seen for sale in 16 years. It will be restored to concourse. The blade has to go and I need to source a front weight. Also the engine has a huge crack at the fly wheel housing. I have plenty of spare 590E engines including one with a S engine number. It has the heavy duty three point linkage and I will be fitting assister rams. My brother has a 3 furrow 16inch Keverneland plough with discs, skims and trash boards that we intend having fun with. Anyway, her she is.

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: New Project, The Holy Grail, County Super 6

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Sweet!!! :clap:
You even got a RestoRide seat! Good luck finding the front weight, Im thinking about welding somthing together that looks corect for my County Four, pretty hard to come by.

Pat

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Another beauty saved.
It will do well with the Kverneland plough.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

Damn... I want one so badly but seem to come by anything but a -6 :(

Luckily for us, Robb Morgan have cast new front weights for both Super-4 and Super-6 :-) :-) He helped me source a replacement steering clutch drum for my crawler and is very easy to deal with :) :)

BIG WHEELS KEEP ON TURNING :-)
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Steven
Thats a nice looking tractor, I would like one here in Canada to go with my 954 :) , but got no chance of ever getting one at any price here now, they all got shipped back to the U.k a few years ago, or guys that still have them won't sell at any price. word got round they are rare and $12.000 expensive :cry: .
I follow one of your AU online for sale pages over here in Canada, and tip of my friend over there if I see any parts I can't get here for my projects, He then buys and ships to me, if he can. That tractor kinda looks familiar from a month or a bit longer back. am i thinking correctly where you saw and got it from :?: .

If you pull that motor and have a good/ or re grindable spare crank left, I might be interested in it if you wanted to sell one :idea: . i still need one for my 6d power major. my cranks totally shot :eyes: :cry: , and Pat BearCreeks the only guy for about 5000 miles that has tripped over one in a scrap yard :shock: , but he needs all his stuff for his 6, and nothings for sale sadly . I think I can get payment and shipping sorted some how from there to here now, if I could just find the crank and a guy that enjoys financial gain :) . Please PM me later on in the project if you think you might be able to help :) .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

frode wrote:Damn... I want one so badly but seem to come by anything but a -6 :(

Luckily for us, Robb Morgan have cast new front weights for both Super-4 and Super-6 :-) :-) He helped me source a replacement steering clutch drum for my crawler and is very easy to deal with :) :)

BIG WHEELS KEEP ON TURNING :-)
Thanks mate, it looks like getting a weight is not impossible. Anther guy on the County FB page has contacted me and he casts them.
super6954 wrote:Hi Steven
Thats a nice looking tractor, I would like one here in Canada to go with my 954 :) , but got no chance of ever getting one at any price here now, they all got shipped back to the U.k a few years ago, or guys that still have them won't sell at any price. word got round they are rare and $12.000 expensive :cry: .
I follow one of your AU online for sale pages over here in Canada, and tip of my friend over there if I see any parts I can't get here for my projects, He then buys and ships to me, if he can. That tractor kinda looks familiar from a month or a bit longer back. am i thinking correctly where you saw and got it from :?: .

If you pull that motor and have a good/ or re grindable spare crank left, I might be interested in it if you wanted to sell one :idea: . i still need one for my 6d power major. my cranks totally shot :eyes: :cry: , and Pat BearCreeks the only guy for about 5000 miles that has tripped over one in a scrap yard :shock: , but he needs all his stuff for his 6, and nothings for sale sadly . I think I can get payment and shipping sorted some how from there to here now, if I could just find the crank and a guy that enjoys financial gain :) . Please PM me later on in the project if you think you might be able to help :) .
Regards Robert
Robert, I should have a crank. I have now have 9 diesels and 4 petrol engines. What year is your engine as the snout comes in two sizes? You know how to arrange shipping? It will need a crate to ship it in. I will be sorting through engines in the next few weeks. I have just had two injection pumps rebuilt.

Yes, that is the tractor that was on Gumtree. If you can get a good Super 6 there for $12k you would have to jump at it. They start it GBP 15 large in the UK for a good one. I managed to knock a bit off this because of the cracked engine and I wasn't to concerned as I have plenty of spare blocks. The block I will be using has an S serial number but is a year older than my tractor.
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Well I got it home. I paid to have it hauled out of the mountains to a depot and picked it up there as it saved me a day. It took the best part of three days to do the 2000km round trip plus loading as you could not drive it onto the truck. 11 hour to Somersby in NSW empty but is was a slow trip home with lots of steep hills that slowed my old D Series. Came down a lot of them in low gear as well as I didn't want to overspeed and have the truck bolt. I think it's time to retire that truck. Too long in the tooth for long trips.

The question now is should i keep the bade or not? Not sure I like it but how much is it part of the tractor's history and should I preserve that?

Anyway, here it is. Unloading tomorrow. The first was taken after fuelling up in Gunning, NSW. The last two taken at home yesterday.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

:beer:
I have to admire your effort Steven, that's a lot of work regardless of how cool the tractor is!

I like the blade! even if you never use it I think it looks rite at home on the front of your Super Six.

P.S. thanks for the injection pump info, I will probably be bothering you for a few pic's of the last two injection lines as well, mine were badly bent and I want to get them to look mostly correct.....and the correct location for the voltage regulator.....and probably a dozen other things.

Pat.

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Some more snaps whilst unloading. Engine ran smoothly but the power steering is about as effective as an ashtray on a motorbike. To hot here today. Other things to do and then I will start stripping her down.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Engine runs smoothly with that cracked block!! :wink:

What would have caused such a nasty crack...? :scratchhead:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Bensdexta wrote:Engine runs smoothly with that cracked block!! :wink:

What would have caused such a nasty crack...? :scratchhead:
Hi

I take it you saw the nasty crack around the fly wheel housing in the first lot of pics? It has since closed up. The cause of the crack is heavy shock to the tractor caused by that massive bulldozer blade. As the crack is in the flywheel housing it does not affect the running of the engine but it is only going to get worse. I may see about getting it repaired but i have plenty of spare blocks. It would be nice for the tractor to keep it's original engine though.

Steven

Ilmari H.
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Ilmari H. »

Hello!
I´m new here as well. Great Super 6 Steven. I would not change the tractor at all and let the blade where it belongs. I am looking for a front weight for my Super 4 and Super 6 as well. Who is this Rob Morgan? Is it possible to get his contact information or from anybody else who might be casting these?

Ilmari H.
Super Dexta -62, Super 4 -64, Super 6 -64, Ford 5600 -79, Ford D Series 6,22

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

Ilmari H. wrote:Hello!
I´m new here as well. Great Super 6 Steven. I would not change the tractor at all and let the blade where it belongs. I am looking for a front weight for my Super 4 and Super 6 as well. Who is this Rob Morgan? Is it possible to get his contact information or from anybody else who might be casting these?

Ilmari H.
English guy. Nice to deal with.

Rob Morgan, South Shropshire. Tel 01588 672390

If youre on Facebook you can hook up with his Son, Simon Morgan. And join the County groups too! :-)
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

Ilmari H.
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Ilmari H. »

Ok. Thankyou for the information. Does anybody know how much those front weight new castings might cost? I´m kind of envious about those original equipments since mine were totally stripped off the original backhoe and front blade in the other. They look a bit orphaned without the front weight especially the S-6. That heavy blade gives good traction for sure to the front wheels no matter what you do with the tractor. Without any extra weight in front in my oppinion kind of light weight tractors. Not compared to Dextas and similar but to already just a litle bit more modern ones like the new generation Countys. But it is also kind of fun to haul heavy trunks from the woods with front wheels in the air and six pistons singing with full throat to the distance :wink: http://konttila.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Kuvia%20 ... va1425.jpg
Super Dexta -62, Super 4 -64, Super 6 -64, Ford 5600 -79, Ford D Series 6,22

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

£500-600 for a frontweight from Robb. I need one for my Super-4 also.
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Steven, where is the voltage regulator and starter solenoid mounted on yours? I am back to work on mine and it hand been changed over to a one wire alternator and the new style starter with the solenoid, I'm assuming the solenoid is in the stock location but I don't see any bracket on the air cleaner for the voltage regulator. A pic would be great!

Pat