County oils

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
Ilmari H.
Not Quite Blue Yet

County oils

Post by Ilmari H. »

Hello,
I have a Fordson County super 4 and 6 both still working hard.
What oil is the most suitable for the front differentials? Some anti slip differential oil with hypoid additives and gl 5 classification or regular gear box/rear end oil with gl 4? What advantages does hypoid or anti slip oil (gl 5) bring when used in differentials compared to use in gear box?
Super Dexta -62, Super 4 -64, Super 6 -64, Ford 5600 -79, Ford D Series 6,22

Ilmari H.
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: County oils

Post by Ilmari H. »

Answering myself: The County instruction sheet recommends use of SAE 90 oil in all of the gear boxes and differentials also in the back/rear. That means every opening of the machine for oil except engine. What would be the closest equivalent for SAE 90 of modern oils from the main suppliers Shell, Mobil etc. that works also fine with the hydraulics?

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Don't forget to change the oil in the driveshafts :)

Pat

Ilmari H.
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Ilmari H. »

Thanks for reminding Pat! I put there and to the front drive housings as well as to the bevel housings or splined housings (looked this up from the instruction booklet and wonder which one of these is actually driveshaft?) this: https://www.yoderoil.com/product/kendal ... 0w140/?v=0
I like to drain some oil out every spring to let water from the bottom to come out that has been collecting inside the gear boxes and back by what ever reasons. If this Kendall oil keeps what it promises it should be even better possible to let the water out. I think this oil would be also good for the gear box as well since it is a bit more fluid than for example Mobilube 85-140 GL5. I put there now Mobil 80-90 GL4 oil since I move the tractor around in winter time sometimes. To the back I put a mix of 20 litres of 85-140 gl 5 and 20 litres Wetol 80 w5-30 since I didn´t have anything else handy and these oils were standing around too close to me when I drained the oils out from the back..