11" clutch

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
super6
True Blue

11" clutch

Post by super6 »

what are your thoughts on putting a 11" single plate clutch into a 120bhp 6 cylinder major conversion will it be strong enough?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I used the thicker 11" disc and spacers when I built one many years ago. That worked on road haulage, Howard Rotospreaders and ploughing for many years without any problems. She was a New Performance 2WD.

County and Roadless used 13" ceramics in their tractors. They, of course were 4WD.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

There seems to be a bit of conflict with the 11'' clutches in these 6 cyl tractors for an old d series around 80 hp they seem to be not to bad if driven properly. Every thing over the 100 hp that i have ever heard of has spat the 11 clutch all over the inside of the bellhousing or ripped the centre rivets out of the boss. They have then been updated to a 13" and been fine. I personally would fit the big unit if you could get one and not worry to much about it. I guess the decision is yours and we can only speak from experience.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Give it a go, let us know how you get on. Tasks such as ploughing, heavy pto work or pulling a heavy trailer are when a 11 " clutch is going to be tested. Worst case scenario is that the clutch keeps slipping or the plate rips apart and you have to replace with a 13" one. You won't know untill u try it.

Other factors such as how often you use it or how you drive it will make a big difference.

Most important of all.... Enjoy it :)

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

thanks guys will fit and see how it performs