Fordson Oil Filter

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
chris88
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Oil Filter

Post by chris88 »

I'm currently fitting a ford 2702E into my FMD and i am having trouble with my oil filter housing i have had mew side rails made so i really dont want to cut them for my oil filter housing so i was wondering if there was a way round this

Scruff
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Scruff »

Hi,
I dont know the layout of this engine but I have seen a solution on another engine that might help.
He made a blanking plate where the filter housing bolts on with hydraulic hose fittings welded to it, then hydraulic pipes away to somewhere where the filter housing will fit above the side rails.

Just a thought.

Scruff.
May all your dreams be blue !

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

I know you don't want to cut it but there hsve been pictures either on here or the Brit Farming Forum (classic) with a very neat dog-leg for the filter. Just a thought. Is that a 4cyl engine? It will tranform the performance although some purists would not agree!

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Hello

Im fitting a Ford 2713E industrial engine 5950cc 363 cu in, into my major, have a look here http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... php?t=1235

I dont know the 2702E engine but im guessing that if you say you have changed the side rails, the new engine is 6 cylinders and longer??? the oil filter which came with my 6 cylinder engine was too big and i too would of had to cut some metal out of my new side rails, i didnt want to do this so i used the original oil filter off my 4 cylinder engine, this just fits without any cutting of side rail.

If the above is not possible make or buy a suitable remote oil filter setup, whereby as already mentioned you have a plate bolted to engine block where the oil filter would normally be, then you run two hoses up to your oil filter which is mounted out of the way of your side rail, this saves cutting siderail. I was going to design a remote setup for mine untill i found the 4 cylinder filter just fitted.

Hope this helps, and also if you have some pictures,,,,, let us see them :)

Mark

here is a picture of my 4 cylinder oil filter just fitting inside the new siderail of my new 6 cylinder engine - hope this helps you

chris88
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chris88 »

hi it is a 6 cylinder i saw your post with the 4 cylinder oil filter on the only worry i had was a loss of oil pressure i was told that lloyd loaders had a adaptor plate for a muirhill that would turn the oil filter through 90 degrees so it is above the side rail but this costs £144 so i wanted to make sure it would work

Gubbels
True Blue

Post by Gubbels »

Hi,

I am also fitting a 6 cilinder 2700 series engine in my major. I just made a gap in my new side rails, but I made the side rails out of 8mm steel instead of 6mm. Are your afraid of the strength or the looks of it?

You can have a look at my project here so you can see my solution:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... php?t=1612

I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of your conversion. good luck with it.

Regards,

Arno
Restoration project: Fordson Power Major 6 cyl. Conversion http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=9&t=1612

chris88
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chris88 »

a bit of both really ive seen alot of conversions where the side rails have been cut and not meaning to offend any one but they dont look right in my opion and the thing that flashes up in my mind is that any where that you cut the side rails is goin to cause a weakness

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Good luck, and keep us updated with whichever option you choose to go with, I'm sure a smaller filter with less surface area for the oil to pass through will cause a greater oil pressure

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Chris,

I am using an 4 cilinder oil filter (the long version) on my 590e six cylinder.
Should work fine, and it fits between the side rails.

Good luck.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

1962 model
True Blue

Re: Fordson Oil Filter

Post by 1962 model »

Hello all,
I have heard that the short Power and Super Major oil filters do not have enough oil capacity for the 6cyl engines, Like Pascal said, use the long one only.

Mike

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

i do not know if it is best practice but i have seen one that was turned upside down.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Chris, in Brians "tractor tour" there are pics of several converted majors. One in particular that caught Brians eye has the filter mounted outside of the frame rail with a extended adapter, it looks a little diferent but its got to be a lot easyer to chang the element.

Pat
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=7&t=3188

chris88
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chris88 »

Hi everyone thanks for the replys i ended up getting a part off of a county that moves the oil filter up behind he injection pump as soon as i get time i will post some pictures