This and that about Ford 590E engines.

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Henk,

Thank you.
You are more than welcome August 12th.
But I am afraid the pump will not be back by then. :(
Otherwise you can drive it at Meddo. 8)

Hi Frans,

Thank you.
6 hours is a very long drive... I think, that the distance from your house to Meddo
is less long than from my house...could be a very long drive for me, I guess? :? Well, there's only one way for me to find out: just do it. :D
The nose from Agrilines is 1 cm lower than the original, but it doesn't show because of the length.

Hi Mark,
I have 13.6-12x36 tyres. They are a bit higher than the more common wheels 12.4-11x36.
Mine are 150 cm high; the others are 145 cm.
I guess the 38 inch wheels are even more high? I have heard they were usually mounted on the petrol Majors because of their lower road speed.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Gubbels
True Blue

Post by Gubbels »

Hello pascal,

nice work you have going on.

I never heard of meddo before, I looked at the site of them and maybe I come check it out. But it's quite a far ride, even with the car. we will see.

Regards,

Arno
Restoration project: Fordson Power Major 6 cyl. Conversion http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=9&t=1612

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Arno,

I come from England to Meddo! :roll:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

Here's a quick update.
Unfortunately my fuel pump has a crack in the aluminium house... :( That's the reason for the leaking and probably for the irregular running (?).
I have ordered another vacuumpump. Hopefully I can mount it this weekend and take the tractor for a drive. :)

I'll keep you updated.
Best regards,
Pascal

Gubbels
True Blue

Post by Gubbels »

That's not a nice update. Did you ordered a second hand pump?? Good luck with it.

@brian: I have to work on saturdays and on sunday mornings I have soccer games, then it is a long drive to just drive up for a short visit. But maybe I skip the soccer game, I would like to see this six cilinder major in real life. We will see.

Arno
Restoration project: Fordson Power Major 6 cyl. Conversion http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=9&t=1612

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Arno,

It's indeed not such a nice update.
I have ordered a revised second hand pump. I can't wait to mount
it. :)

It would be great to meet you @ Meddo.
Best regards,
Pascal

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Pascal,

Pity the pump is broke. What are you going to do with the broken one? Did you have to return it in exchange?
If you keep it can I use some parts for the pump I have bought?
I dissembled it today and cleaned it. Its not going to run the way it is now because of rusty and broken parts.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

I need your :help:
Tonight I have mounted the other fuel pump. After taking the air out of the system, it started and runned fine!
But after 10-15 minutes it had the same problem as before: it sounded just like it ran out of diesel and stopped. :cry:

I immediately used the fuel ift pump to built up some diesel-pressure. Nothing.
After a few minutes I did the same and started full throttle. It started and run for about a minute. Then it stopped again.

Does anybody has an idea what the problem is?
Are the fuel lines perhaps too small? They are 6.2mm (measured outside) or 1/4".
Are they mounted not correctly?
Didn't I take all the air out?

On the picture not all the lines are connected. They were connected when I started the tractor.

I hope I don't have to cancel my plans for Meddo because of this problem. :?
Best regards,
Pascal

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Well the tow from Dotty is still on Pascal. :run:

Have you taken the pipe off from the fuel tank and checked the flow of fuel to the lift pump?

Have you got a filter in your sediment glass? They have a disc filter up under the sealing ring.

Have you an air leak at the sediment bowl seal?
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Gubbels
True Blue

Post by Gubbels »

Is the sediment glass connected properly? I have also a sediment bowl, but mine has an arrow for the right direction, mine flows from right to left otherwise than how you connected it. I don't know if this could be a problem?

Let us know when you found it, good luck.

henk

Post by henk »

Pascal,

Did you bleed the system point by point?
Kind regards, Henk

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your help!! :thumbs:

The sediment glass is brand new and looks ok.
I have bleeded the system step by step, so that's seems to be ok too.
I have followed the instructions on the glass bowl, and on the left side, it says "in", so I guess it's correctly mounted like this.

I think the problem is in two things:
1. the fuel line leaks a bit just before the fuel lift pump, so it sucks air? I will replace all the fuel lines by tailormade reinforced rubber fuel lines.
2. When I removed the fuel lines and empty the tank, I took out the fuel tap...and guess what...the grill was full of dirt. :cry:
I was really surpised, because with the renewal 2 years ago the tank was really clean. Perhaps some dirt came in during the conversion of the 6 cylinder?

I truly hope, this will be the solution! Otherwise I'll have to accept Brian's offer. :D
Best regards,
Pascal

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi I hope you have found the problem like you say. In my work as a farm mechanic I come across the dirt in the tank problem a lot. I belive a lot enters from the use of unclean cans for re filling. some of it can be in the fuel from the suppliers. and the other thing I read the other day is that the new biodiesel is a very good cleaner. they say that this stuff will loosen up 100 year old crap in fuel tanks and lines that explosives would not budge :lol: . I think a few guys are going to find these problems a lot :wink: . I hope you get her going good soon shes a nice tractor :)
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Pump will take the line of least resistance. If it cannot get a good easy supply of fuel it will pull air through the slightest leak. We used to get this with Claas combines with the engine up on top and the fuel tank low down on the side. Slightest weep and she would pull air rather than diesel.

Bit concerned about rubber fuel pipe Pascal. Diesel eats rubber materials wereas petrol gives no problem. I see her with burnished copper lines and polished brass fittings. :yeah:
Brian

JC

Post by JC »

I wouldn't have thought that it could suck air through that fitting, since it is lower than the tank and fed by gravity. Since the screen in the fuel tap is plugged, it could get air easily.

Robert mentioned several ways that dirt could get into the tank, but another possibility is algae. If you let diesel sit unused, add a little condensation, and a little warm weather, you get algae, and that stuff plugs up everything.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There is a fairly large "pull" on those pumps, they are designed to draw fuel from the tank of a truck which is about 18" below the engine, at a rate of 4 gal/hr. On the combine they were lifting fuel from at least 36" below the engine.

So with a blocked tank filter, and I have pulled totally collapsed tank filters out of tanks, the pump is very capable of drawing air in through a small leak on the intake side.

Claas fuel caps some times had a rivet failure which allowed a metal plate to fall and block the filler tube. I have seen the fuel tank sides drawn in quite away by that lift pump trying to draw fuel.
Brian

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

I have been working on the 590e for the last few days. I have cleaned the tank and placed new copper fuel lines.
I found out, that the first screw on the fuel filter didn't seal well. So I took the unit from the 4 cylinder.

Unfortunately the fuel line from the glass bowl to the lift pump is still leaking... :cry:
This time I made it more square, compared to the fuel line on the picture I posted earlier. Unfortunately it didn't works..seems to
be some "tention" on it. Does anybody have an idea about this?
Perhaps I should made a "loop/curl" in the middle"?

I also found out that the temperature sensor is leaking (in the head). Perhaps because it has been "dry" for a few months during the conversion?
Anybody have an idea to fix this?

So I have got some work to do before the festival at Meddo. 8)

But I also have some goods news :) I have got a service manual on the 590e in Dutch. If anybody's interested, I can email a copy.
Best regards,
Pascal

henk

Post by henk »

Keep on going Pascal, your nearly there.
Kind regards, Henk

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello Pascal,

You should use new washers with all banjo bolts, or glow out the copper ones before fitting when you re-use them.

The temperature sensor is quite easily seald with a drip of liquid gasked on the thread or a little fitters PTFE tape.

I'm interested in the manual, for my Clayson of course.

Regars

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Thank you, Henk. I will. :)

Thank you for the advices, Emiel. I did use new washers and bolts, but I guess I didn't do a well bending-job? Perhaps a longer
fuel line will do the job? It's the first time, that I bent copper lines, so I am doing some experience over here. :)
Best regards,
Pascal

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

I have been on my tractor again the last few days. I have made new copper fuel lines and they don't leak anymore. :D
Unfortunately the glass bowls now drops a little bit.. :(
I had to replace the membrame, because she ran a bit irregular.

Yesterday I drove a while for the second time since the conversion. After filling her up with some diesel at the gas station, she wouldn't start anymore... :roll:
Seems to be a low battery. We had to tow her home since starting cables and pulling her to start didn't work. :?

After a night at the battery charger, she started this afternoon like never before. :)
We will check if the alternator works well.

Is this a correct working temperature for a 590e? Seems a bit higher than an 4 cylinder. Or is it running hot?

After I started her this afternoon, she sounded like this. That's okay I guess? Or does it need some improvements? I noticed it holds back a little at full throttle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grC_tAb1PII

During the run I got a little scary since the keeps holding in a bit. I guess it´s a little hard to see on this link.
On this link you hear a little high tone on the background..just if something holds her back. Does anybody has an idea of what or might be? I don´t know if it´s the engine or not.
Strange thing is she only runs 29 km-h (18 miles) at 2.100 - 2.200 rpm. I thought it would be a bit faster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZLQIRxyie4

After the run she sounded like this (watch the exhaust weather cap moving).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwDXeEhcSUA

May be I haven't cleaned the gas tank well enough? I'll check it this week.

I hope you can help me, guys.
Best regards,
Pascal

henk

Post by henk »

Pascal,

Glad you have here running. :clap:
I cant hear anything unusual. Maybe the hunting at idling and at full throttle can be changed by adjusting the damper valve at the front of the vacuum part. Turn it and count what your doing so you remember the setting when you started.
Mine can run 30 km at 2200 rpm.
It will only make out 15 minutes at the drive to Meddo :P
Kind regards, Henk

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Hy Pascal,

Just running and drive must be great for now, I cant help you with the speed as I dont have a Tacho meter on it yet

It runs at a normal rpm ca 30 km/h full trottle its 40 km/h but I have 18.4 / 30 wheels on the back maybe that makes a different
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Hi Pascal
It sounds absolutely normal. The unstabile idling is typical for the pneumatic governor. You can adjust the max revs with one of the screws on the inlet manifold. Hovewer it is better to do it later when the engine has been used for some time. Do not adjust to more than 2500 rpm when you do it. Make sure that the aircleaner is clean before the adjustment. :thumbs:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Check on the machined triangle on the clutch side at the front of the hydraulic lift. Shpuld read either 3.3 or 4.4. 3.3 is the higher speed.

20 kph is quite fast for a Major, you will gain speed as the revs increase towards 2400 rpm.
Brian