Jack - My Fordson Major Tractor

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Jack - My Fordson Major Tractor

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum having just got my second tractor home... He’s called “Jack” after my late dad because I know my dad would have loved him as much as me. I have a few problems to sort out with “Jack” such as the tin work, brakes, oil and fuel leaks but I don’t see many problems with these at the moment. In a previous life, “Jack” or Freddie as he was formally known was used for boat launching and I suspect I will keep coming across damage caused by the salt water he worked in. I know its bad luck to change the name of a boat, I hope this doesn’t apply to tractors.

My first priority is to get “Jack” on the road so I need an age related registration mark. Having being through this process with “Susie May” my little grey Fergie named after mum, I have a good idea what is involved so I’d like to ask the following for the registration process: -

What is the organisation that can verify the model and age for the tractor within the United Kingdom?

Where is the Chassis/Serial/VIN number located on the tractor[/img]
Last edited by JohnnyBoy on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JB... So what if I am having a mid life crisis, It's only hurting my bank balance

1957 Fordson Major Diesel - 1951 Ferguson TED 20 - Massey Ferguson Type 794 Plough

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the board. There are quite a few organisations that can get you verification. If you do a search here you will find we have discussed it before.

I personally used National Vintage Tractor and Engine Club, PO Box 1705, Yate, Bristol, BS37 6RF. I have had good experiences with them but they used to be a bit slow so I am told.

There is only one number on the Major and that covers chassis and engine. It will either be under No.1 injector pipe or on the flange behind the starter depending on year. It can also be on the metal plate near the hinge, on the firewall.

All castings from front axle to rear axle and lift have casting codes. You need to quote/photograph these to support you application,at least I did, and took them along to the licencing office, as well as pictures of the tractors at work. Not required, I know, but it got the staff involved and my application seemed to come through faster. :D

Go to our main page and check out the Wiki. You need "fordsontractorpages" and "dotty" to get you in. There is a piece on dating your Major, with pictures of the numbers, codes and their locations.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Thanks Brian, I've found both the Engine Number 1383607 and the plate near the top bonnet hinge which reads 1419147. is this normal for the numbers to differ?
JB... So what if I am having a mid life crisis, It's only hurting my bank balance

1957 Fordson Major Diesel - 1951 Ferguson TED 20 - Massey Ferguson Type 794 Plough

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Welcome Aboard Matey. :D Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Welcome Johnny. Nice looking Major you have. You have found a great site for Fordsons. Good luck.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Johnny,

The number should be the same.
1383607 must be between 3-56 and 4-56.
1419147 must be between 2-57 and 3-57.
So there’s almost a year in between. Seems there’s been an engine switch done.

Could you give us some casting codes? The should match the first number.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Gman wrote:Welcome Johnny. Nice looking Major you have. You have found a great site for Fordsons. Good luck.
It's been used for boat launching into salt water so the tin work's suffered badly and has been repaired several times along with the brakes and I think the o/s fromt wheel bearing is shot. The engine a good starter and sounds sweet and it drives ok. There is a little leak of emulsified oil from the PTO shaft and the engine block drain tap needs some attention. but i'm happy with it in general. :D

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

henk wrote:Johnny,

The number should be the same.
1383607 must be between 3-56 and 4-56.
1419147 must be between 2-57 and 3-57.
So there’s almost a year in between. Seems there’s been an engine switch done.

Could you give us some casting codes? The should match the first number.
Thanks for the info Henk.

Are there any particular casting codes you'd like to know about?

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Just a quick one...
Is my tractor a Super Major or a Power Major? I’ve come across a parts catalogue that suggest a super major has a braking system that involves 2 brake plates (like clutch plates) with an expander in between them (Like the old JCB-3’s). A Power Major has an expanding brake shoe and drum arrangement.
Can anyone confirm please?

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

JohnnyBoy wrote:Just a quick one...
Is my tractor a Super Major or a Power Major?
It is neither. What you have is an E1ADDN Fordson Major Diesel.

It looks like a tidy tractor as well.

Steve
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

JohnnyBoy wrote:Just a quick one...
Is my tractor a Super Major or a Power Major? I’ve come across a parts catalogue that suggest a super major has a braking system that involves 2 brake plates (like clutch plates) with an expander in between them (Like the old JCB-3’s). A Power Major has an expanding brake shoe and drum arrangement.
Can anyone confirm please?
Hi Johnny. There are manuals on the home page of this site, repair and parts manuals. How about some more pictures, your major looks great.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

henk

Post by henk »

Johnny,

It should be a letter / number / letter. Something like C6Z.
You can find it on the axles, lift cover and more cast iron parts.
Kind regards, Henk

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Brian wrote: Go to our main page and check out the Wiki. You need "fordsontractorpages" and "dotty" to get you in. There is a piece on dating your Major, with pictures of the numbers, codes and their locations.
Gman wrote: Hi Johnny. There are manuals on the home page of this site, repair and parts manuals. How about some more pictures, your major looks great.
Hi guys,
Maybe I can’t see the wood for the trees here but how do I get to these pages... I’d welcome an idiot’s guide please

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

I'll get some pictures taken tomorrow afternoon and post them later in the evening

supersaltyseadog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by supersaltyseadog »

Hello Johnny, just for your info we've just registered our 1960 Power major. I dealt with a wonderfully efficient lady called Grace Popplewell at the Ferguson club, and all I had to do was send her by registered post the following.
1. Passport 2. A recent utility bill with my name on 3. One photograph each of the engine number, front, rear and both sides of the tractor, 4. A cheque payable to DVLA for £55 5. A cheque payable to Grace Popplewell for £45. 6. An insurance certificate with the engine number indicated on it.
Two weeks after sending, I am in receipt of a registration plate authorisation certificate (pending V5), and a tax disc !!!.
The age related plate is spot on the the year / month of our tractors manufacture.
Hope this helps.

JC

Post by JC »

JohnnyBoy wrote: Hi guys,
Maybe I can’t see the wood for the trees here but how do I get to these pages... I’d welcome an idiot’s guide please
The home page is here, http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/
You will see tabs at the top of the page, if you point to New Major, you will see drop-down boxes with more choices. One of them will be repair guide.

You will see another tab for Wiki. fordsontractorpages is the username, and dotty is the password.

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

supersaltyseadog wrote:Hello Johnny, just for your info we've just registered our 1960 Power major. I dealt with a wonderfully efficient lady called Grace Popplewell at the Ferguson club, and all I had to do was send her by registered post the following.
1. Passport 2. A recent utility bill with my name on 3. One photograph each of the engine number, front, rear and both sides of the tractor, 4. A cheque payable to DVLA for £55 5. A cheque payable to Grace Popplewell for £45. 6. An insurance certificate with the engine number indicated on it.
Two weeks after sending, I am in receipt of a registration plate authorisation certificate (pending V5), and a tax disc !!!.
The age related plate is spot on the the year / month of our tractors manufacture.
Hope this helps.
Many thanks, I've just spoken to Grace and she was very helpful Hopefully I'll get it sorted when I get back from my holidays

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Hi Henk, I've found many of these numbers on the major castings components. They all start with a "B" and end with a "A" but the numbers between them do differ. for example under the bottom radiator hose on the castin is B21A... under the seat on top of the transmission is B14A.

I'm guessing now but does the letters refer to the year and month and the numbers to the date the casting was cast?

henk

Post by henk »

Johnny,

You have February 57 New Major, with a March / April 56 engine.
Seems it has a second engine in it that’s older.

You’re right prefix letter is the month. The number the date and the last letter the year.

I notice you have the optional rev counter. Is it still working correctly?
Kind regards, Henk

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

You have February 57 New Major, with a March / April 56 engine.
Seems it has a second engine in it that’s older.

You’re right prefix letter is the month. The number the date and the last letter the year.

I notice you have the optional rev counter. Is it still working correctly?
Thanks for that Henk, I've been looking at some other sites and I agree that it's an early 1957 model.

At the moment there's no reason to disturb the engine but if I was to overhaul it, I think I might just find it has signs of overhaul.

Thanks for your help, it's appreciated :D

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Can anyone tell me what this lever's for?

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

JohnnyBoy wrote:Image
Can anyone tell me what this lever's for?
If you click on the 'IMG Code' box on photobucket, you will pick up the correct link :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

henk

Post by henk »

Johnny,

Its for the radiator shutters. Seems there missing, or at least the rod is missing.
Kind regards, Henk

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Thanks for that... I've used these forums before but couldn't remember how to post pictures

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

henk wrote:I notice you have the optional rev counter. Is it still working correctly?
Hi Henk, The rev counter dosen't work and looking at the state of the cable I can see why. If the cable is routed right then should there be some sort of angle drive on the back of the counter head?