This and that about Ford 590E engines.

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

hi
my 6 cylinder runs at 160 - 190 degrees, so i would say yours is not to bad, just keep an eye on temps when working hard or high revving for long road runs as the 4 cylinder rad can be a little to small and struggles to keep temps down.
if you are really worried the rads can be re cored with a larger cooling area in the same frame.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Saw this ones at Brimfield over the weekend.

The wishbone was connected back to the frame, running under the sump.

Engine is a 2714E.

Hope Pascal you are not going to try this!! :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,
Thank you for your reactions! I really appreciate it! :thumbs:

@Henk,
I think you are right about the adjusting of the damper valve at the front of the vacuum part.
I will give it a try this week. A friend of mine has checked it. It's a bit better, but it still holds down. It loosens my hips though..a good thing for the dance floor! :rofl:

@Frans,
My rear tyres 13.6-12x36 are 1.50m high. I have borrowed some 13.6-12x38 tyres from a friend with a petrol Major. I think they are 5 cm higher.
The flences are of course not for a Super, but it runs a bit faster. My plan is to run @2.000 rpm and still have a nice tempo.

@Grani,
Good to hear from the 590e-expert it runs absolutely normal! :D
Thank you for that! I want to run it max. 2.200rpm. I have heard that should be the maximum for a 12" clutch.
Good point of the air cleaner.

@Brian,
I have searched quite a while for the triangle, but I can't find it.. :?
May be you can show it to me next weekend at Meddo?
I won't do any tractorpulling..or at least not without some safety precautions. :)
I think the borrowed 38" rims will give me some more speed.

@Super6,
Thank you!
I already have a larger cooling area in the rad, so that should be okay.

I have a
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

mine runs on 13.6 x 38 and gives me a road speed of 40 kph at full revs.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

Just before the festival in Meddo we solved the problem of the holding down at high revs.
The engine didn't get enough air to breath well.

Originally this was the shape of the air intake.

The airflow wasn't right, so we cut the corners of and reshaped it a bit, so the airflow was fine.
It runs great now at 2.200 rpm! :clap:

@Super6
How many rpm runs your tractor? I couldn't get more than 32 km/h according the GPS of my navigation. That's at 2.200 rpm.
Best regards,
Pascal

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Think your GPS may be wrong. According to my speedo you were doing between 20 and 25 mph and you were not pushing her. Best estimate is your time/distance and you seem to have been averaging 20 mph on a rough calculation. I think you are getting a distorted view through the helmet, and was the waste tank empty all the way? :run:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

hi Pascal
i do not have a rev counter so cannot be 100% certain, but it revs higher than most tractors so i would guess 2400-2500 rpm.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Brian,
I think you could be right about the helmet... :D
But to be honest I think 25 - 27 miles per hour would be nice because of the long distances I will drive. 8)
But may be I should be a bit less hasty. ;-)

Hi Super6
Thank you.
I have the same problem with my rpm meter. Seems to be useless quality since it broke down to the drive to Meddo.
Best regards,
Pascal

1962 model
True Blue

Re: This and that about Ford 590E engines.

Post by 1962 model »

Hi All, sounds like you are having lots of fun!

Can I please ask a couple of technical questions?

I have two 510 E engines and a couple of weeks ago bought a poor condition Super Major to fit one to.

The Super Major is the early one with the red wheel centres and the 6cyl engines are 3 E 22 and L 28 F

One engine needs a new crankshaft and I would like to fit one with more counterbalancing on it, does anyone know if the D series engine has an interchangable crankshaft, or is the rear flange different?

One engine is painted Blue and the other one is the original Class header engine and painted green.

The Green one ( L 28 F ) had a head RMC 22951 18 5 H 510 E 6050 this does not have the FL marking and the blue
3 E 22 engine has a head RMC 23345 and a letter A above, also 18 5 H 510 E 6050.

To me it looks like both heads have been replacements, going by the dates, or am I wrong?

Does it look like these heads are both 1965 and that the FL started after the 18 5 H head and before the 28 5 K head?

I also have both type injection pumps as my Super major is the first type would it still have used the Simms type pump?

Pascal the sump on your engine looks different, has it been modified, or was it a County 6cyl sump?

Hope you can help, Mike

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Mike,

It's great to read someone is working on a 6 cylinder Major! :D
Unfortunately I cannot help you with the technical questions. It's possible, that heads are replacements, but that's no problem technically.
I believe the FL-heads (since 1962/1963) have another (better?) diesel/airflow.

You can use both injection pumps. The mechanical one gives the engine some extra HP and I have heard the engine runs a bit more smooth
at minimum rpm.

I don't think I have a County sump, or at least it hasn't got the County logo anywhere. There are several models in aluminium. The diecast ones are
the most rare.
Best regards,
Pascal

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Thanks for the reply,
hope to be getting another Fordson for parts next week, just need a splined hydraulic top shaft and lift arm and a few other bits then.
Ours here down under, run 18.4 28" tyres and large wheel weights, think I might have to drain out the water though before I swap wheels about!

Before I really get started I might pull off the hydraulic top to make sure the bull gears are not excessively worn, as there is little oil in the final drive.

Mike

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello all,
Been doing lots since I last posted my questions, picked up a few more engines too!
I have posted my engine details so If anyone is collecting technical data they can add to their information.

The earlist engine I picked up yesterday from a truck is cast D 13 D ( April 13th 1961 ) 510E46546 this one had the early starter the same as the tractor, this has water in the sump, but hopefully some parts will be useful.
Next I have a L 27 D ( Oct 27 1960 ) 510E56439 this one was from a Coka Cola truck removed 25 years ago, we have this one running now, the next then is B 1 f ( Feb 1st 1961 ) 510E69777 this was recently in a 10/ 61 truck and appears that it should go, I will use this one in my Super Major as it is within a few days of the tractor engine date. ( first day of cam & timing gear change )
After this I have a D 10 F ( April 10th 1961 ) 510E 70140 this one bought dismantled only some parts usable.
Next is L 28 F ( Sept 28th 1961 ) S 244242 this one was from a Class headder combine and still has its light green paint though I have this one dismantled to overcome leaking diesel diluting oil problems that damaged the bearings,
then there is the a 3 E 22 ( 1963 May 22nd ) S244242 painted blue, this one has the later block modifications requiring a different injection pump and lift pump, this one was in pieces when I recieved it as it also had oil dilution problems and wrecked bearings, and lastly I have a 5 A 8 ( 1965 Jan 8th ) 660EE13235 I don't understand this one as I have not seen the 660 prefix referred to, so information on this one would be appreciated if anyone knows what this means, otherwise this engine confirms to the late mimec injection pump, cam change and period lift pump, this engine has a deeper sump with the well at the front as it seems to have come from a conventional truck rather than a cab over style.
I don't know if this would be from an early Trader of the later K series as I don't know when they changed over?
This engine was removed about 1985 and left on the ground till a couple of weeks ago when I collected it, completely seized ( so I thought ) the clutch turned out to be destroyed and all jammed between the housing and the flywheel, when this was removed the engine turned over, so when I get an injection pump for it, maybe it will run!

Sorting out Clutch plate problems with my red wheel Super Major 6cyl conversion at the moment, I will be sticking to the dual clutch for the present as I won't be using it for heavy work.

Any help appreciated ( hope I have my dates right ),

Mike

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Nice collection. :lol: On this picture is a lot of mystery E numbers but not a 660EE. Not a 590E either. :?

county654
True Blue

Post by county654 »

After more than 2 years I will revive this thraed.

By chance I found an afordable 6 Zylinder engine in nearby Belgium 8). I thought it should be a 590E, but it looks like beeing a 1957 510E, coming of a Clayson harvester.
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

county654 wrote:After more than 2 years I will revive this thraed.

By chance I found an afordable 6 Zylinder engine in nearby Belgium 8). I thought it should be a 590E, but it looks like beeing a 1957 510E, coming of a Clayson harvester.
Hi

What you have there is in fact a 590E with the early industrial mechanical governor. 590E is the name given to the industrial version of the Thames Trader truck engine.The 510E you see on the casting are part numbers associated with the truck, along with 508E. There will also be some parts prefixed E1ADDN.

510E is a Thames Trader 5 ton 6D, 508E is a 5 ton 6P and E1ADDN is a Fordson Major-Super Major.

Steven
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.