Toppins 1923 Truck?? With Fordson Engine

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
noncompos
Not Quite Blue Yet

Toppins 1923 Truck?? With Fordson Engine

Post by noncompos »

An ad was published in the 9-15-1923 issue of the Commercial Car Journal, a longtime trucking publication, for the Toppins truck, powered by a Fordson engine, built by Toppins Tractor Truck Co, Milwaukie, Wisc., per the ad.
The illus shows a conventional open-cab (no top or doors) cab and chassis, the only real oddity being what appears to be a heavy-looking boxed in area comprising the front seat and the space below a normal seat.
The only descriptive text is: "Affords use of the Fordson when needed--or a 2 1/2 ton truck--and a power plant at all times".
The pic shows what looks a great deal like(to me, but I don't follow Fordson)the engine area of a 1923 Fordson tractor. Have a pic in an email but don't know how to transfer to this post. I'm advised by another researcher that nothing else appears on the web or in the usual trade reference publications, but have not looked myself. Apparently this never got into production, or, if produced, under some other names. It apparently is not the prototype Fordson truck built by Fordson.
Does this sound familiar to anyone, or ring any bells?? Any comments/suggestions appreciated!! Many thxx!! Bud

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Toppins 1923 Truck?? With Fordson Engine

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Quick 'google' came up with these 2 links, (there are bound to be more.

http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/Gas- ... spx?page=6 Information article.

http://www.creative-works.ca/mckenzie Scroll down the page to see pictures of their models of it.

Mike
Nobody is perfect and I want to be a Nobody.

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Hi Bud,
You might get in touch with the model maker above, and ask where they got the info to make the models.
Also, you should ask the same question on the bulletin board at American Truck Historical Society.

noncompos
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by noncompos »

First, my apologies to Mike and JC; I should've Googled this myself instead of accepting another researchers statement that nothing was on the web. It's also possible I might've misunderstood his original emails. The Commercial Car Journal ad that he found also contained language stating, or at least implying, that there was actual production, which seems to be verified by the model builder's models.
Second, many thanks to you both for taking the time to direct me to things I should've found myself. I'll pass the info to the original researcher, who's involved in building a database of worldwide truck manufacturers, an extension of Mroz's and Georgano's truck works.

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

hi found your post would like to see the add i messaged the modle retailer some time ago but have now lost his anser it but it was something to the effect that the only imformation he had came from a small entry in a book called some thing like ford trucks 1923-1965 and that it was built in the early 20's but was killed when the tt truck with the 2 speed diff came out .Out here in aus there has just been built a replica of a lockle built simler thing called a tractor waggon can email photo thanks barrie
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

noncompos
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by noncompos »

Brockwood: sent a PM thru the system re' Toppins ad; advise pitybud@msn.com if doesn't come thru.