6 cyl starter motor

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
1962 model
True Blue

6 cyl starter motor

Post by 1962 model »

Hello all,
I am considering which is the best way to set up a starter motor for the 6cyl Super Major I am building.

I have the Bosch one from the Combine with the electric solinoid but this doesn't really allow the tool box to be fitted along side, as the solinoid protrudes out.

I have not seen the 6cyl Thames Trader starter, does this allow the original manual engagement like the Fordsons?

Mike

Grani
True Blue

Re: 6 cyl starter motor

Post by Grani »

The Trader has an electric solenoid as well. There are Trader starters with the solenoid in different positions though. You can use the Fordson orginal starter if you like.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Thanks Garani,
I had thought that a 4cyl Fordson starter would struggle to have the torque required to do the job.

Mike

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

1962 model wrote:Thanks Garani,
I had thought that a 4cyl Fordson starter would struggle to have the torque required to do the job.

Mike
That can happen at cold weather depending on the engine oil in use, but normally it starts very easy even with bad batterys.

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Guys
When changing starter motors between engines, check they have the same number of teeth on the starter pinion.
I have two Major engines, and they each have different numbers of teeth on the ring gear and on the pinion.
The pinion was only one tooth different, but enough to make it bind up.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Mark 1 Thames Traders have the same starter as the Tractor, even six cylinder models. The mechanical start lever came up through the floor next to the gear lever. I have one of these in the yard. After 1961 they all got an electric solenoid.

I have confirmed this in the Thames Trader parts book. E1ADDN-11000-C then E1ADDN-11000-D.
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Thank you very much, that is the kind of information I needed to hear.
I will be at a wreckers on Friday and hope I can find one, otherwise I will be on the scrounge for one.

Thanks Mike

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Thanks Steven,
Are you saying that the mark 1 six and the 4 starters are Identicle? same windings and armature?

I did finally get to the werecers and they had a recondidioned one from a place that closed down some years ago, hopefully that will do the trick!

Mike

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

1962 model wrote:Thanks Steven,
Are you saying that the mark 1 six and the 4 starters are Identicle? same windings and armature?

I did finally get to the werecers and they had a recondidioned one from a place that closed down some years ago, hopefully that will do the trick!

Mike
In the Thames Trader parts book the 6 cylinder Mk1 has the same starter as the 4. There is another "cold starting conditions" heavy duty option but in WA you should be fine.

If you have trouble finding one I would suggest the truck wreckers and get one of a D series truck, diesel of course. They work. You will have to wire in a starter switch as they do not use the lever.

Steve
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.