Fordson Power steering

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
1962 model
True Blue

Fordson Power steering

Post by 1962 model »

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me the company that made the Power steering pumps and the model, perhaps they could be aquired from another piece of Machinery? and does anyone make the brackets?

I am wondering if the 6cyl Fordson Super Major I am building will need power steering or not with a heavier engine?

I have discovered that I have the crankshaft and fan pulleys still on this Super Major so looks like it had this before?

Any help appreciated, Mike

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Fordson Power steering

Post by JC »

I'm not sure who made the pump. I can see if one of mine has any info on it. Do you still have the steering cylinder on the drag link? That is the hard part to get. Sometimes you see them for sale on eBay.
Since your tractor won't be all original anyway, you may want to use an aftermarket kit. I know that Agriline sells them and I'm sure others do too.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Thanks JC,
I have seen them on Agriline, but was trying to keep cost down, I was trying to get a pump that looks something original that doesn't look tacked on.
I don't have the drag link but as I have to modify a drag link anyway that will be no extra work, The assist ram I was hoping to get from another tractor as our Chamberlains here used them.

Some pictures of your power steering would ba appreciated if that is possible?

Thanks again Mike

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Mike,

I used to have power steering on my 4 cylinder. Now I temporally removed it when I conversed to the 6 cylinder.
For normal driving you don't really need the power steering because of the heavier engine.
When you work with your tractor often, it's a great feature. :)

I bought my power steering kit aftermarket. Looks like the one on Agriline.
Mine has the pump next to the alternator instead of under the hood. I needed to made some modifications,
since it didn't fit originally.. :?
It works fine though.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

JC

Post by JC »

1962 model wrote:Some pictures of your power steering would ba appreciated if that is possible?
I don't have a Major with power steering, but I have a couple of pumps. I keep hoping that I'll find a cylinder or two. I'll have to bid a little higher, I guess.

I have power steering on my Super 6. Its similar to the Major ones, but not exactly the same. I can take some pictures of that, if it will help.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Thank you some pictures would be great!
Not many Fordsons over here now compared to the thousands there used to be, nearly every Farmer seemed to have one, it was that or a Massey, but I never had much time for them, the one my uncle had used heaps of fuel compared to the Fordson and broke down heaps I remember that!
JC I don't mind after market so much as like you say it won't original anyway, but I want it to look and fit well.

4 Cyl Fordsons here did have power steering, but it was pretty rare.

Thanks for the other comment Pascal, about 6cyl Fordsons being managable without power steering, lots of people don't realise how much easier the steering is with those centre rib tyres either!

Thanks everyone, Mike

JC

Post by JC »

New spindle bushings and thrust bearings also make Majors steer better.

I'll post some pictures soon.

JC

Post by JC »

Mike
I've been busy lately, and I didn't get any pictures of the power steering, yet. I'll try to post some tomorrow.

JC

Post by JC »

Better late, than never. :wink: Here's the pics, Mike.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Old JCB3's had a similar pump but no resevoir. Cant remember the maker of the pump maybe Plessey? I could be thinking of the main pump on an old fordson based JCB though!
There are a lot of steering rams that look like the right one, however there are variations in length and the size of the taper joints.
The price of good power steering kits for fordsons seems to be on the increase these days, it may be worth investigating your own systen if originality is not a concern.