Trouble starting when hot!

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
csvper
Not Quite Blue Yet

Trouble starting when hot!

Post by csvper »

Hello,i would be grateful for advise as to why my major will not start when hot.

It starts fine when cold but fails to turn over when up to temp.

As far as i can tell the engine is no tighter to turn by hand.

The engine does have the original lever starter.

roadless J17
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Trouble starting when hot!

Post by roadless J17 »

hi my tractors are the same
it is probably a lazy starter motor and it seems to only when the heat has transfered from engine block

good luck

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Mine has the same problem. I had it yesterday.
When I try to start the engine after half an hour when it was hot it will fail. The second attempt is mostly enough to get here going.
It must be the cooling down process I think.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

csvper
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by csvper »

Having rebuilt my engine(590e) recently i try to not let the engine idle for any longer than necessary,but switching off frequently and waiting for cooling is a pain.
I am wondering which starter motors will fit that are stronger if the original is lacking ,although i don't understand why the heat affects the starter unless the engine is harder to turn over when hot.

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

have you checked the wireing for high resitstance? after starting if there is a hot spot on one of the connections clean it up and try again. If the engine is a bit harder to turn over when hot a bit more power to the starter might cure it?

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

This problem was common with the Power Major, worn bushes in the starter motor were often the problem. Holding the stop
control out until the starter has the engine turning over can help over come the problem.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello all,
The battery leads and those from the statrer solanoid do develop resistance, the braided copper earth leads are a particular proplem, I have had these get very hot from resistance when starting a new engine.
The solanoid also does deteriate over time as well, I recently replaced my starter and leads and it is now much earier to start than it has been for a very long time.
Mike