Fordson Road Grader

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
1962 model
True Blue

Fordson Road Grader

Post by 1962 model »

Hello all,
My son has seen my plans to build a 6cyl Fordson and is now building one himself.

He wants to make his Fordson into a grader and already has the 590E 6cylinder installed, we should be ready to fire it up in a few days, we are hoping it will be a good one, it came out of a Coka Cola truck about 20 years ago and has been in a shed for this period.

Does anyone have any picture of Fordson Graders to give us some ideas of how to set it up?

We would like to yse the original fordson front but make it longer.

any help appreciated,

Mike

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Fordson Road Grader

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Mike
Does he want to make a 'proper grader' using a Fordson,
or will it be a Fordson with a blade under the gearbox/engine area.
I do have an article on a DOE graader, which is a Fordson with no front axle, with the grader part attached to the rear(what is normally the rear of the tractor) and the tractor travels in a rearward direction.

I wouldn't mind having a Fordson with the blade under gearbox myself, as my drive needs regular attention (especiaaly with all the rain we've had this year)

Let us know what style hes looking for.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello Kewi Kev,
it is the Fordson with a blade underneath that we wish to make up, appart from the obvious hydraulic ram mountings and blade we just have to extend the front axle and chassis side rails.

The one we have a picture of looks a bit silly with a large srtreatch, we are hoping to improve on the appearance with the 6cy engine making the section in front of the engine a minimum.

Mike
Last edited by 1962 model on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello,
here is a progress report.

Much more to do yet, we have to check the condition of the engine first, but the bearings look acceptable so far, and we have cleaned out the 20 years of gritty sediment out of the sump so it won't get dragged through the bearings on start up, or block the suction screen.
Injection pump doesn't look that good with a rusty stain on the cam box inside surface, hopefully it will work long enough to get an Idea of engine condition. ( at least the injection pump has oil now )

Can everyone see the full picture or is it just my computer?

Mike

henk

Post by henk »

Loud and clear.

Would be a smooth running engine with all that coke. It's a good creeping oil. :P

Good luck with your conversion.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

There was a grader like that in the neighbourhood where I lived before, It was owend by the comunity ore a constructor to do the unpaved roads, I ve seen the tractor some years ago on a show in Didam ( Emil do you know that thing) but I dont had a fotocamera with me.
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

janus
True Blue

Post by janus »

hello frans

maybe you mean this one ? this one, was seen in raalte 2011 i lookt for more picture's of it, but not found it ( jet )

http://www.scv-oldtimers.nl/Raalte2011/ ... _2241.html
Last edited by janus on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Hello Janus,

Its the same construction but there wasn't a loader on it, but the front is the same,who knows more abouth this construction ? was is a Werklust from Apeldoorn (where I lived before) they didi make loaders an a Roadless conversion
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

janus
True Blue

Post by janus »

hello

i've found a link

the graders where built in silvolde ( netherland ) by the family hendre, for more information look , the understand link

http://www.bouwmachineforum.nl/forum/vi ... 52#p214212

i found also a few more hendre grader picture's

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff3 ... ordson.jpg

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff3 ... ordson.jpg

werklust in Apeldoorn built also different equipment , see the understant pictures

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff3 ... 4jqfjr.jpg

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff3 ... 746yt6.jpg

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff3 ... 198761.jpg
Last edited by janus on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

This one was at Cheffins Sale at Sutton near Ely, Cambridgeshire a couple of years ago.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello again,
finally we have made a bit more progress with the grader, my son has been working away but has managed to fit up the front axle etc yesterday.
We still nead to get a Super major front engine mounting plate or modify the original truck one with some angle brackets to complete the front mounting.
Next we will be making up a mounting for the A frame, this will be different to a normal conversion because the grader is longer again.

We have had a sump welded up with an extended belhousing flange and will be fiting new Auxillary drive shaft bearings, crankshaft thrust bearings and engine bearings if they are worn, all this needs to be done before we refit the front mounting plate.
The Injection pump will also be getting changed too as it has a rusty stain in the bottom of it, I managed to get another engine from our wheatbelt which had a good injection pump, that engine is in need of a rebuild. ( one day )

Still need to drill the holes yet.

Mike
Last edited by 1962 model on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

[quote="1962 model"]Hello again,
Picture of our sump above.
Mike

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Looking good Mike!
I don’t believe the sixes were built with the Front plate to bolt to the tractor frame rails, my supersix has angled brackets bolted t a “universal “front plate. I would have to guess a four cyl front plate would work fine.
Great welding job on the oilpan!
What did you use for frame rails? I cannot make out a weld seam on them.
Are you using a super/power dash on the tank?

Pat

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello Pat,
The side rails are two welded together, the welds have been ground flat, you can see the rusty band where the weld is.
I have a spare power major tank and the rest of the set up but my son is not sure what set up with the gauges he will use.

The base tractor is a X marked 1966 model new major which of course has the single clutch gearbox, we used the truck clutch plate with the springs in it, so we hope they will not give trouble.

Our local aluminum welder did a good job welding the extension on, looks like I might to give him the other one to do for my Super major conversion, unless I weld three original sumps together.

The latest 4cyl plate should work as the engine movement would not be as great in a tractor compared with the truck where they were rubber mounted.
I have a couple of 6cyl industrail engine plates which we might be able to use, these already have mounting holes for extra brackets and are of thicker material too. I think my red wheel super major missed out by a few days from having the right plate.
I was trying not to use the industrail plate I have because of problems with the cam gear end float and rubbing on the plate and cover.
The timing gears on these engines 4 & 6cyl's tend to wear quite a lot and the crankshaft endfloats are often excessive too which does not help the situation.

Mike