brake lining removal

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
terry274
True Blue

brake lining removal

Post by terry274 »

I have new brake linings ordered. The lining on the shoes are bonded on, the new ones will come with rivets. (I am only getting the linings, not the complete shoe) What is the best way to remove the old, bonded, linings?
Thanks,
Terry

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

Hi Terry. Just guessing, but I would say what ever it takes -maybe hammer and chisel, then clean up with a grinder or sand paper. Don't forget, your probably dealing with asbestos - I would keep it wet to avoid dust.

PS. You got me wondering, Terry, so I did a google search. Didn't find much except this:

"I removed the old lining from my disc and sent them to the brake company. If your old pads were bonded don’t bother trying to remove the pads. The company can heat them in the oven and they will slide right off."

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

Yeah, a hammer and chisel is what I was thinking. Thanks for the idea about keeping them wet, I was concerned about the asbestos. I found nothing at all on the internet about removing the linings. Since brakes and clutches get hot during normal use, I wonder how hot that company heats them to get the old lining off?
Thanks,
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

terry274 wrote:Since brakes and clutches get hot during normal use, I wonder how hot that company heats them to get the old lining off?
Thanks,
Terry
I also read that the bonded drum brake linings are baked on, they place the glue and clamp the linings on, and bake it. So the 'glue' must be able to take high temps. I've never seen a clutch cemented on, always rivets.

llanfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by llanfair »

Hi terry,
As your brake shoes have bonded linings and you intend replacing with riveted linings are the shoes drilled to suit, (only a thought)
Regards LLANFAIR.

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

llanfair, yes, the shoes are already drilled.
Thanks
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta