Cylinder Liner Removal

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
drz400
Not Quite Blue Yet

Cylinder Liner Removal

Post by drz400 »

Fordson Power Major.

Tried to remove my cylinder liners but can't get them to shift.

Tried making up a puller with some threaded rod and cranked it as hard as I could but it was not shifting.

What's the next thing you would suggest or what types of puller gives the best result? They Seem fairly stuck.

Thanks

Nick
True Blue

Re: Cylinder Liner Removal

Post by Nick »

Hi, when I did mine, i borrowed a liner puller from a mate which was made to pull caterpillar dozer liners out - up to 8 inch bores! My limited experience in this having only done two major engines, is once the liner moves about 10mm you can pull it out by hand, but to get them to move takes a fair bit of force. What size plate and rod did you use?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Apply steady pressure with the puller, then administer a judicious clout with a lump hammer to the base plate of the puller, and then reapply the pressure with the puller and repeat. Millimetre by millimetre the liners will move.

:thumbs:

Fixersteve
True Blue

Post by Fixersteve »

Hi, As Adrian said loads of preasure with the puller and a few clouts with a nylon hammer. They only need to move around 10mm and then they should be free as a bird.

Untitled by fixersteve, on Flickr

Cheers
Steve

Hesford
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Hesford »

Hi there been toying with the idea of pulling the engine down on my major and changing liners the one thig that's making me hesitant is the horror stories I've heard about the block being rotton is this common? And if so can the block be saved? :scratchhead:
1950 E27N Petrol/TVO
1956 New Major Mark1

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

This can be true or they can crack around the o ring groove. Everyone is different but if it anit broke dont fix it.

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi
I've done 20 + major engines in my time :) I probably did 15 and never had problems with the blocks and sealing rings then had 3 in a row that weren't the best. It depends how bad they are. there is a post on here somewhere of a guy using chemical metal to build up the groove top :wink: .
one of those i did was scrap for other reasons and got another block :cry: . the other 2 had enough left to hold the ring in. my older experienced machine shop guy said, put the seal rings and sleeves in with a heavy bead of black high temp setting silicone compound round where the ring sits on the sleeve and push it in, and it would be fine. those 2 are still running and not had problems with water in the oil :) .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

drz400
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by drz400 »

Hello thanks for the help I've got my liners out now just the first one was tight and gave up to easy. I now have to order a engine repair kit where's the best place to get one from? any suggestions please post. thanks

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Emmark uk or agriline. Both are on line.