FSM Gearbox bearings

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
greesysaff
Not Quite Blue Yet

FSM Gearbox bearings

Post by greesysaff »

I recently purchased a 63 i believe FSM or really badged as a ford 5000. I have been searching through the forum to find as much information as I could on this tractor as I live in the US they are very many over here. It seems impossible to find any of the gearbox bearings or seals around here. I read Pascals gearbox rebuild post and had the exact problem occur with this tractor. If any one can help with the part numbers for the seals in the transmission and the rear main shaft bearing number I would really appreciate it. I will try to get so pictures posted to see the progress. Thanks everyone!

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Re: FSM Gearbox bearings

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Here's the main gearbox output shaft bearing. With any luck your bearing supplier can cross reference it. The bearing above this one at the back of the box had gone on mine because of low oil levels caused by seal failure between gearbox and rear transmission. This main bearing still got oil so was ok.

Best

Adrian :thumbs:

[urlImage][/url]

greesysaff
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by greesysaff »

The bearing I need is the one on the top back of the transmission case. I am not sure the exact name of it I thought it might be the main shaft bearing (rear) but it is definately the on above the output shaft of the transmission I am sure it failed due to lack of oil also (pto seal leak) and the original owner never checked the level she thought the only oil goes in the rear end. The inner and outer race I removed has the numbers SKF 162279C FTLD ENGLAND I think I tried every bearing supplier in America and nobody has an idea what that number means. If anyone has a better or different number for that bearing I would sure appreciate it.

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

greesysaff wrote:The bearing I need is the one on the top back of the transmission case. I am not sure the exact name of it I thought it might be the main shaft bearing (rear) but it is definately the on above the output shaft of the transmission I am sure it failed due to lack of oil also (pto seal leak) and the original owner never checked the level she thought the only oil goes in the rear end. The inner and outer race I removed has the numbers SKF 162279C FTLD ENGLAND I think I tried every bearing supplier in America and nobody has an idea what that number means. If anyone has a better or different number for that bearing I would sure appreciate it.
Hi
Welcome to the forum and the world of fixing fordson Majors :) .
Most of the time you actually have to take the bearings and seals to a supplier and get them to measure it/ identify it's type. and then they go through the system and say yes , no, or maybe this will work as the original style bearing or seal is no longer available :cry: .
I know some of the 2 piece roller bearings in the trans are supposed to be updated to something with a different style that should work, but don't know the numbers I just asked the question in the suppliers one day :) . I still have some good used ones at the moment so didn't need them.
some of the online parts guys like Agriline products in the U.K have some of the seals listed as direct replacement. the other thing to do is get on to CNH parts web page. I think your tractor is listed under NPSM (new performance super major) up to 1964. some parts may still be available from them but might not be cheap :cry: .
The other thing is really on here we need more pictures as the numbers and your description might not help us. There are loads of different bearing suppliers to ford all with different numbers. Also your description of the shaft could be totally opposite to what every body else is thinking you need parts for :wink: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

greesysaff
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by greesysaff »

Thank you for the replies I ordered what I think might be the correct bearing and seals from the local N/H dealer, not cheap is right but if it will work that the price you pay. I will get some pics up of the progress and what may come thank you everyone for the help and advice.
Mike Saffiote

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

I think I stuck a NTN brand, NJ405 in my County 4, you can google this bearing to verify the ID,OD, and width is corect.

Pat

greesysaff
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by greesysaff »

the bearing with the rollers missing is the bearing I lost in my trans, the shaft laying on the pallet is the shaft the bearing supports on the rear side(smaller gear) to answer your question that is exactly what happened to mine except my inner race is broken in half and the rollers were scattered all through out the transmission I am still working to clean it out. The bearing missing the rollers is the one I am trying to identify that was the only part that is completely ruined on this gearbox the teeth on the gears took a little abuse but I think they will have to make do.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Damn! Been through my photos and it looks like I didn't make a record of the bearing in question. Sorry!

This is the other end.

Best

Adrian :thumbs:

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Major Mike
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Major Mike »

Hello, the old NF type bearings can be replaced to NJ type. NJ type bearings are easier to find.
In my 1962 Super, gearbox bearings are
6211 , 1 each, 55x100x21 mm
6212 , 2 each, 60x110x22 mm
6214 , 1 each, 70x125x24 mm
6307 , 1 each, 35x80x21 mm
6406 , 1 each, 30x90x23 mm
NJ 305, 3 each, 25x62x17 (old ones nf305)
NJ 405, 25x80x21 (old ones nf405)

Maybe these will help you.... :D

Here you can see the difference between nj type and nf type bearings
http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/nsk-e ... -_118.html
Super Major -62, Super Major 6 Cargo ~130 hp, ford 4550 & Haka, Ford 6600 backhoe, Valtra 6400

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Welcome Aboard Matey. :D As others have said, You need to go to an industrial bearing supplier with dimensions in millimeters, or thousands of an inch. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Major Mike wrote:Hello, the old NF type bearings can be replaced to NJ type. NJ type bearings are easier to find.
In my 1962 Super, gearbox bearings are
6211 , 1 each, 55x100x21 mm
6212 , 2 each, 60x110x22 mm
6214 , 1 each, 70x125x24 mm
6307 , 1 each, 35x80x21 mm
6406 , 1 each, 30x90x23 mm
NJ 305, 3 each, 25x62x17 (old ones nf305)
NJ 405, 25x80x21 (old ones nf405)

Maybe these will help you.... :D

Here you can see the difference between nj type and nf type bearings
http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/nsk-e ... -_118.html
I'm looking to do a rehaul of my gearbox. Is it possible that these bearing numbers only apply for a live drive?
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

easy.start
True Blue

Post by easy.start »

I can confirm that I used several of the new NJ type bearings for the top shaft in my 1955 gearbox.
I too searched for a month or two until I stumbled upon the NJ bearings having been directed by these pages.
7 months later, 100 miles and 6 ploughing matches it appears fine :D
Easy Start (not required for the Fordson)