Ford tw35

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
billgatt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Ford tw35

Post by billgatt »

Thinking about buying a Ford tw35, I will only use it to show and perhaps pull a trailer with 6-7 tons behind. Has anyone experience of the model either the bubble cab or the later model? Any weak points I should look out for and what hours can they do without major problems. Are they very thirsty or not bad for their size? I guess they are fairly slow on the road less than 20mph !!! Any ideas on what one might cost?
Thanks
Bill

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Ford tw35

Post by Brian »

They are a tank!!!! The engine is unstoppable, can suffer from cavitation like all Fords of that era. Check for diesel in the sump, unlike most of the range, the Minimec pump is lubricated by engine oil from the engine and, if it has a leak it can fill the sump with quite interesting consequences. :mrgreen: Pulling the stop or switching off the engine does not work when diesel is getting by the pistons. :shock:

Dual Power is great but can suffer from warped plates if used as an engine brake, dropping from Hi to Low to slow down with a load on the road.

Brakes can give problems if the correct oil is not used in the hydraulic cylinders and if the oil is not changed regularly in the back end. Filters need to be changed too if you are doing a lot of trailer work on the road.

Hydraulics do not have the best lift capacity in their class but you have to remember that she was designed to work with semi-mounted or trailed equipment.

She perhaps would not be my choice for a tractor that was doing limited light work as you will soon find she will be slobbering oil out of the exhaust and possibly glazing the bores but if you were going to put it into hard work or heavy pulling then there are few better tractors on the market. You will also need heavy lifting gear if you are going to work on them too.

MHO only.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Awsome piece of gear. Watch for rot on sq cabs. Porus blocks if water filters arent changed regularly. Front axle pivot wears as they dont get greased. Leaking spool valves on those that were used alot.

These are built to last and in my opinion a very good looking tractor. I have had mine for about 10 years and hardly put a spanner on her. She had a hard lift before i got her too.

billgatt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by billgatt »

Yes I would agree they are awsome looking machines and should look well alongside the other beasts I have although they may not agree colourwise. I have a JD 5020, MF 2805 and MM 705 so she will be in good company. I think powerwise the MF 2805 with that 640 V8 Perkins would be a good match for it but of course its only 2 wheel drive so would lose out on wheel grip. I will need to tie the TW 35 to my MF 880 six furrow semi mounted plough just to give it a little exercise.
Bill