roadless conversion

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
d.andersen
True Blue

roadless conversion

Post by d.andersen »

hi

on the super major ,there is different gear-ratios. Before 1963 ratio (orange blue) and after 1963(n/p) where it wass 4,375-1 and optional 3,5-1 .

does that give any problem if I want to put it together with a roadless kit ??
Fordson forever

dexta roadless
True Blue

Re: roadless conversion

Post by dexta roadless »

Hello
Yes you need to have the same ratio. I guess roadless used different gears inside the gearbox to solve that
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

d.andersen
True Blue

Post by d.andersen »

Ok ,but is the transfer box not mounted after the transmission ?
Fordson forever

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi
Something tells me there are different front tire diameters for what size tire is mounted on the back, to keep the ratio between front and back the same :idea: Don't know much about the Roadless but think there was an article in Vintage Tractor and machinery Magazine, a few years ago discussing this with diff ratio's and tire sizes, and what fitted what combinations :wink: . I should have it here but will take a while to find it , unless somebody else has it laying around :idea: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

the ratio is different in the final drive (differential) so this comes after the 4wd drop box hence you need the right gearing for your final drive or probably easier to find the correct rear diff ratio to match whatever roadless kit you have

d.andersen
True Blue

Post by d.andersen »

Ok thanks

But if the roadless come from a 61 super major ,
And put on a 62 rear end, then the ratio should be correct.

Since the ratio dont change until 63 (n/p grey blue )
Am i not correct ?
Fordson forever

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes, the ratio changed in the 1963 New Performance Supers to give more gears at PTO speed. We had one customer who we had to swap crown wheel and pinion every ploughing season to the 4.4 ratio and then, in Spring back to the 3.3.

With all Roadless it is the front tyre size that matters and, in theory, they should be the same size, make and type that were fitted at the factory. The reason was that different makes of the same size tyre had different rolling radius. This would again change if you fitted cross ply or radials.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

d.andersen
True Blue

Post by d.andersen »

Brian wrote:Yes, the ratio changed in the 1963 New Performance Supers to give more gears at PTO speed. We had one customer who we had to swap crown wheel and pinion every ploughing season to the 4.4 ratio and then, in Spring back to the 3.3.

With all Roadless it is the front tyre size that matters and, in theory, they should be the same size, make and type that were fitted at the factory. The reason was that different makes of the same size tyre had different rolling radius. This would again change if you fitted cross ply or radials.

So if I understand you correct , my setup will not give any trouble regarding
the ratio ?
My tires are 9.5-24 front and 16.9-30 rear

is the roadless ratio different on the greywing super majors ?
Fordson forever

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yours should be OK. One of the New Performance would have the same ratio as yours, 3.3, the other would have a different ratio.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

d.andersen
True Blue

Post by d.andersen »

Ok thanks ,
Fordson forever