Power Major plow day "touch-up"

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
Matt in WI
True Blue

Power Major plow day "touch-up"

Post by Matt in WI »

Every spring my father likes to take the original Power Major to a local plow day hosted by our neighbors,. Some years ago we swapped over the tires and rims from a NP 5000 Major and as you may know the rims are whitish in color, I believe Ford calls this light grey. This has for years now drove me crazy, :x It was in the workshop anyway so I thought a re-spray of the front rims were in order before the big plow day event. Now with the fronts looking sharp it makes me think I want to do the entire tractor. :D It would make for such an easy restore, all the tin work is so tidy ! They look nice all painted but often I think they look just as nice all original as well. :)

super6954
True Blue

Re: Power Major plow day "touch-up"

Post by super6954 »

Hi Matt
It looks to good to paint from what I can see :) . an original nice tractor like this should be left alone in my opinion to :wink: . Some guys actually prefer to see them in working clothes now at shows, It's something different to rows of shiny over polished trailer queens :eyes: :run: .
Maybe do what I would of done here with the wheels if you could. I have a few spare sets that are original un painted, period Patina. I can then usually swap wheels or centers if needed over and keep the original un painted look, maybe swap with another tractor you want to paint :idea: .
the early ones seem to be a bit more orange when they fade than powers or super color. got a set here on a 52 gas new major, looks like they are about the right color right to find there way onto my 51 E27N p6, that I don't want to paint if I get it running without destroying the original look :idea: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Robert, Think I have to agree, some tractors should be kept original, there are so many that have been painted over the years that not many originals survive. Here in our area it was a common practice for this one particular Ford dealer to take an old Major and paint it like a NP 5000, :yikes: New paint, front badge and decals, they sold tons of old Majors that way :shock: Needless to say we never did any business with that dealer and they went under in the mid-80's. :lol:

I went out to the bone yard and pulled off a pair that looks like the correct patina, not 100% but as close as I can get for now. Believe I will treat him to a new set of front tires as well, new rears will soon follow. :D

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Matt
Glad you agree on not painting this one. i got a couple here I really have no choice on unless I go for the total rust red and running/ driving look :|.
Those wheels will look better than bright shiny orange as you say. It's a shame you aren't local to me :( I have a feeling I have a spare set here that would match that tractor as close to them being original to it, as a guy could get :) .
How bad are those tires do they match, or have a lot of weather checking. Was wondering if new tires might take away from the look to, i guess if you use it they wouldn't look out of place for long though :wink: .

Funny you say that about the dealer painting them I have seen a couple up here in Canada re painted 5000 super colors, but still badged as the correct models. Got some tin from a power like that on the shelf in storage here.
When i called the wreckers for parts they had them listed as "Super Power Majors" Had a real hard time convincing them there is no such tractor :eyes: :run: . Think they got it now though :lol: .
Regards Robert

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Robert, I may have a Super Power Major!!!! :P

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

The tires are completely shot, I thought about pulling a set off a tractors that will be painted as you suggested but all my runners are packed in the shed like sardines for the winter and hard to get ample working room around them. The set I did take off came from one in the "bone yard" as its come to be known as, like I said best I could come up with at the moment, we will get it sorted Im sure. :D

Im still wondering where the original rims made off to :?: Will have to do some investigating. With as many tractors that are around here one looses track of things on a regular basis, add in the addition of 3 young boys with tractors of there own and often parts you thought you had sometimes grown legs and walked away never so be seen again :shock:

A "Super Power Major" that's a new one to me, a rare bird indeed ! :lol: One breaker I have dealt with refers to them as Ford Majors, does not matter if its a New Major, Power, Super or NP they are all simply Ford Majors to him. :lol:

Robert, I did want to ask you a question regarding paint, I understand that we can no longer get paint from the UK ? :( Pat tells me that he has a few quarts of blue remaining and is going to try and get them color matched. It has been a while now since I have gotten any and am completely out of blue. :yikes:
Last edited by Matt in WI on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

BearCreek Majors wrote:Robert, I may have a Super Power Major!!!! :P
:P If anyone would have one it would be you Pat :lol:

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

BearCreek Majors wrote:Robert, I may have a Super Power Major!!!! :P
Hi Pat
What do you have that should be blue and orange thats had white tin and wheels on it other than A genuine color 5000 and your county super 6 :?: . If you got a genuine super Power it will be a power major in the same colors as the super 6 :wink: .If you got one I would put it on ebay as a rare barn find tractor :lol: , some complete dipstick would probably Buy it for $5000. if yours sells good I'd put my super power tin on a tractor and sell it after for $4500 :eyes: :run: :lol:.
Regards Robert

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Matt
to be honest the only paint I have from the U.K is bepco/ tractol, Empire blue and a few other colors as well, the catch is I had a few cans left I exported with me 13 years ago, and it still sits on the shelf here :( . So I can't really answer. Probably you can't since all this terrorist B/S excuses for not shipping anything crept into our everyday lives :cry: or the EPA says the chemical in it will make you glow in the dark, or kill 5000 acres of rain forest per tin you use :cry: .

I do know that sparex Canada lists an Empire blue, and the dark blue for the 27n'S Don't know if i can order and get it from our local sparex supplier, or if it is available from sparex U.S.A if there is such a thing. They only supply trade dealers . so would have to go on line to find your local machinery dealer stockists and order and see :wink: .

I painted a couple tractors that didn't matter and used regular ford blue. When my buddy did his power major / Roadless he had 65-00 ford blue, and added ford white to lighten it. Don't know exactly what the ratio is but it looked pretty good. he's away till April 12th so can't ask him yet. I think it was like a gallon blue and a quart white :scratchhead: .

The other thing is Bepco, sparex, and vapormatic paint for empire is all different shades. You kinda got to pick what you like or color match From the tractor or as Pat is doing from his last few tins if he likes that shade he has :idea: .

I got storage problems here too I got no shed my 20 odd collector tractors, they are just coming out of 5ft snow banks :eyes: . I have wandering parts syndrome to, mine is i have so much were was I wandering when I found space to put it, And now don't really exactly know were to look for it, not little people running off with it :lol:
Sounds like I see a big $1800+ check getting written in you future for tires, if yours are that bad :eyes: . i need some here to but gonna wait until I have a shed to store the tractors in to save the tires a bit better :idea: .
Regards Robert

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

I have to agree 100% with you about the EPA, terrorist attack Bull pucker :roll: . If Pat gets a paint code for Empire blue that's SUPER :!: Ask the local Ford dealer for empire blue and they look at you funny :scratchhead: . The orange is no problem, we have colors here that stand up to the toughest critic, can't tell the difference. I prefer GM orange, same color GM painted there engine blocks.

Well actually my wondering parts problem comes down to my boys, I always try to look at it in a positive light, my parts actually never really leave the farm, they just find there way onto other tractors. All of them have there own Major and good old dads parts seem to be fair game :lol: .

Ya tires, WOW how they have jumped in price, :yikes: I have a few farm tractors that need rubber as well, just been putting it off. Last year I put a set on my 7000, they are a set made in India my local tire guy talked me into, so far so good, they realy hold up well on the road, they ride OK at road speed but she is loaded with fluid and 5 weights per side. My 5000 need tires also and would be nice to have a new set on before field work time. I will ask him the price on a set of 16.9-30's and pass it on, may be more reasonable than one thinks :D . If I remember correctly the set for the 7000 mounted with fluid was less than $1800. :-D

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

If anyone else has any experience with tires from India or China I would be interested to hear what they have to say, :D good or bad :x .

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi Matt,

my experience with tractor tyres is only 1/2 year. I use BKT tyres, TR-135 (16.9-30) on rear and 7.5-16 on front. They look okay and for my use (nearly no work, towing trailers) it's ok.
I don't know how good they are on the field.
Cost was 1430 Euro for all four tyres in summer last year.

Peter
1963 Super Major

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

super6954 wrote:Hi Matt
It looks to good to paint from what I can see :) . an original nice tractor like this should be left alone in my opinion to :wink: . Some guys actually prefer to see them in working clothes now at shows, It's something different to rows of shiny over polished trailer queens :eyes: :run: .
Maybe do what I would of done here with the wheels if you could. I have a few spare sets that are original un painted, period Patina. I can then usually swap wheels or centers if needed over and keep the original un painted look, maybe swap with another tractor you want to paint :idea: .
the early ones seem to be a bit more orange when they fade than powers or super color. got a set here on a 52 gas new major, looks like they are about the right color right to find there way onto my 51 E27N p6, that I don't want to paint if I get it running without destroying the original look :idea: .
Regards Robert
I also hate those people who transform their tractors into shiny over polished trailer queens, probably because it must be those old tractors who was TOWING the trailer, not the one to be TOWED AROUND in a trailer!

But if you really want to paint that lovely Power Major, it's OK. The only thing that we, ford and fordson lovers was to see our tractor in good condition, working and doing the tasks that they were built for. Our family's Ford 5000 was used for almost two years now after being bought and restored (painted of course) by my grandfather and given to us, and was still a "showroom-looking tractor" but was given hard work when available (it hasn't got any work for now because there were no more fields to work on), but it needs some repairs now for it has developed a new problem, just wait and I'll post that problem in the Ford World series part of this forum(after I have some pics).

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

The 5000 is a SUPER good tractor, and so dependable :D . My dad bought ours new in 1974 and has never had a major mechanical problem, only ever been apart once to replace the clutch that I know of. Round the farm here the 5000 is the go to tractor, its not to big or small for most jobs. I think the boys at Ford got the 5000 just rite :thumbs:

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Talked to my tire guy today and got some prices for the ones made in India, 16.9-30 mounted with new tubes $1018.00 and for the 5000 the price comes in at $1318.00 because they have to pump the fluid. Coming out this Thursday to put a set on the 5000 and going to hold off on the Major for now, the tires on it are not that bad and should run for a long time :D

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

Matt in WI wrote:The 5000 is a SUPER good tractor, and so dependable :D . My dad bought ours new in 1974 and has never had a major mechanical problem, only ever been apart once to replace the clutch that I know of. Round the farm here the 5000 is the go to tractor, its not to big or small for most jobs. I think the boys at Ford got the 5000 just rite :thumbs:
My grandfather has got a ford 4000.He bought it brand new in 1973, and still owns it until now. Since we live in the Philippines, that 4000 has gone through things like strong tropical typhoons, large earthquakes, and it was even drowned by a flood in 2009. Good thing, is he had it repaired and it runs, until now. He really loved his first tractor, on fact he loved it so much that he said he will never sell it or even trade it in exchange for a newer tractor :D .