Fordson major modern starter conversion

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
frankenfordson
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson major modern starter conversion

Post by frankenfordson »

Has anyone used a modern starter for their fordson major? I just bought one but Im not sure how to wire it. It comes with the solenoid attached to the starter. Does anyone have a diagram they could send me?

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Fordson major modern starter conversion

Post by Dandy Dave »

It's is pretty simple. First, eliminate the original solenoid that is mounted by the air cleaner. Run a heavy cable from the battery post that went to the old solenoid to the large post on the starter. A second wire should also be on that same large post, and fed back to the battery terminal on whatever you are using for an ignition switch. The small post on the starter should be marked with an "S" and this is the post that energizes the soleniod to make the starter engagae. Depending on what you plan to use for a switch, will determine the way to wire this. If you use the original Fordson switch, you will need to install atleast a push button. If you use a universal switch from an auto supply. It will already have a terminal that is marked with an "S" that will feed the starter wire like a normal switch that you use with a key. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello,
a bit off subject, but if anyone is looking for a conventional solanoid starter for their Fordson, the later Thames Trader, and the K series models are a source of second hand starters, D series is a possibility too.

Mike

JonNWY
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JonNWY »

I'd say the hard part would be lining up the starter, but if that fits what starter did you get? You can pull the solenoid off the new starter and keep using the remote solenoid

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sorry but you cannot take the solenoid off the new starter and keep using the old one. The Major uses a pre-engaged starter which means that the operating lever engages the gear into the ring gear before it triggers the solenoid. The engagement is done by the starter lever and, when engaged it also "makes" the circuit to switch on the remote mounted solenoid, switching the main power to the motor.

On the "New Style" starter the circuit is different. First you switch on the solenoid and the metal core moves to pull the gear into engagement with the ring gear before "making" the switch to transfer the main power. To do away with this style of solenoid would require quite a lot of fabricated linkage to work the gear engagement and switch on the main power.

The only problem apart from adjusting the wiring and starter switch when using the new style starter is that you have to find a new mounting point for the tool box as the solenoid overlaps the side rail.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

JonNWY
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JonNWY »

Brian I haven't pulled this starter apart but will you clarify for me.

The starter is simply a coiled wire motor with a shaft and gear. All it does is spin when supplied current. The solenoid uses an electromagnet to pull out the shaft engaging the starter gear with the flywheel. Most starter switches supply two basic power types. One a constant on and one an push on start when released is off. This is solenoid current. The solenoid then is activated engaging the shaft and allowing full starter current. This is why when a starter goes bad and just whines its almost always the solenoid not moving the starter shaft and the motor spins the crud out of it without the engine resistance.

If the starter rod actually engages the starter gear with the flywheel the solenoid is more of a switch then anything. So if you had another starter you only need the +/- hook ups on it using the remote solenoid and stock starting lever. I've modified plenty of solenoid on starter types. Mostly its just removing the solenoid housing with two screws or bolts, then using the power connections under that or shorting them to the existing lugs.

I cant visualize the linkage but I do see what you mean. It would need a connection of some sort to work with the starting lever. But my question is why?

Leave the solenoid on and use a $3US push button starter from any parts house instead of the lever. You can wire the two solenoids in series and be done with it. This does make it very unstock for collectors but I'm sure the welds on my tractor do too :beer:

JonNWY
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JonNWY »

I've been looking at replacement parts and its about $240 US for a new one, I'd rather modify a $75 one if I can.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sorry, I thought you were taking the pre-engaging solenoid off a modern starter, putting the modern starter onto the Major and then trying to use the existing solenoid which is remote mounted and not part of the starter. As you say, on a Major the solenoid is only a high power switch, it does not activate the gear into the ring gear. The starter lever engages the starter gear into the ring gear on a Major, the modern style starter uses the solenoid to do this so you would have to make a linkage both to engage the gear and to operate the solenoid. It is a "no brainer" to take the solenoid off the modern starter when all you have to do is fit a starter switch, button or key and do away with the existing solenoid. The starter from a '000nd Series will fit I believe.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

JonNWY
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JonNWY »

Now that my Major starts right up the starter is taking a dive. Searched but didn't find the replacement part numbers here so I thought I'd add them to the thread and save somebody else the time:

Conversion Starter mounts upside down and needs the aforementioned wiring changes is the Ford/New Holland/ Case/ IH stater:

D8NN11000CE
D4NN11000BR

Hope that helps