Fordson major Thames trader 6d

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
Vulgunx
True Blue

Fordson major Thames trader 6d

Post by Vulgunx »

Started to buy parts to build a 6d fordson major but i dont want to buy a part and not know it will work, At the moment im planning on buying a fordson supermajor backend and been told no conversion plate is needed for fitting a thames trader. can anyone give some more information about fitting this type of engine?
Owner of a 1961 fordson dexta restyled model :)

scoobyjim
True Blue

Re: Fordson major Thames trader 6d

Post by scoobyjim »

yes it will fit straight in. same flywheel and bell housing. Dependant on your sump the rear sump holes wont fit but doesn't matter. Longer chassis rails and longer bonnet. Also the front wish bone will have to be attached to the chassis rails as the sump wont have the mounting hole.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

The Super Major rear may not be the ideal setup, a lot of the conversions use the big single stage clutch/flywheel set up as the two stage/live PTO clutch cant take the additional horse power for any length of time. I am running the two stage clutch in mine with heavier springs......but time will tell. I'm afraid if my foot ever slipped off the clutch I'd probably have parts flying everywhere.

Pat

Vulgunx
True Blue

Post by Vulgunx »

Can anyone confirm if this pump is the correct one for this 6d? im unable to view the engine and its for sale cheap so have to make sure its the correct pump and engine before buying
Owner of a 1961 fordson dexta restyled model :)

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

That engine had a vacuum governor pump. The pump in the pic is s Simms Minimec. The Minimec will not fit early engines. If that engine was made in 1961 there is a chance it will fit as the castings were modified about a year before the change over. I have a 1961 engine that will take a Minimec pump. I would need to see a picture of the front brake vacuum pump mounting pad located just behind that injector pump mount on the block to give you the answer. The half moon shaped pad is much wider on Minnimec engines. Also the auxiliary drive shaft was changed when the fitted the Minnimec and the key is off by 10 degrees. I am not sure if you get enough adjustment on the timing if you use the wrong shaft, I have never tied it although I think someone else on this site has.

Steven
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

I took some pics for you. Sorry about the quality, taken with an iPhone in my shed.

Here is the early version. See the pad in front of the fuel lift pump aperture. You cannot mount the Minimec in this engine.

This is the later type. See the larger mounting pad. Also that additional hole on the lift pump aperture needs to be plugged with a screw and fibre washer. It is the oil feed for the truck brake pump. You will need the front and rear mounting brackets if you use the Minimec pump. Rear ones are hard to come by but you can make one from a truck brake pump.

Here is a late model engine for sale. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fordson-Six-C ... 541676e36a

Steven

65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.