Rare 6 cylinder Super Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Eric Schulz
True Blue

Rare 6 cylinder Super Major

Post by Eric Schulz »

We have some rare items in Australia, including some of the residents! This tractor is for sale by auction and is described as "Rare genuine factory 6 cylinder diesel Fordson Major". How many of these in the UK?
The auction was yesterday, sorry, but if you want to have a look, go here: http://www.nolanfleet.com.au/currentauction.html

Eric

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sorry Eric there was no such tractor.

Dealers modified Supers and companies in France and Belgium made beautiful modifications but none came from Dagenham with a six.

Companies like County and Roadless had to make all their own parts like the sump etc. and convert industrial engines.

I would suggest that she was built over there at the Ford plant, if, as claimed she is a factory built model.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Could be buildt in some pivate factory but sertainly not in a Ford factory. The A-frame is missing and the front axle will not take the normal stress without it. If the oilpan is the original aluminium and without added frames it will brake in half.

Eric Schulz
True Blue

Post by Eric Schulz »

Brian wrote:Sorry Eric there was no such tractor.
How can you say that, I showed you the picture! Just kidding.

I have read that Ford in the UK were totally opposed to fitting the larger engine, so I doubt if Ford Australia did such a conversion. I just thought it was an interesting topic of conversation.

Eric

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Roadless made 23 Majors with the 6 cyl engine from May 1961 to 1964 for export, badged as Ploughmaster 6/2 so no one of them remain in England and this is not one of them either .
Last edited by Grani on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Looks a little dodgy with out axle support. Interesting sale tho', what nan unusual mix of items. Never heard of on make of tractor.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Eric,

If you go to my story "Winterswijk 2007" in the Wiki, there is a picture of one of the Supers with a 6 in that I meant. You can see that they have done a great job with the sump and mounted the "wishbone" back where it is on a standard Super. This is a "proper" sump and not a modified one, it is cast in one piece.

Some really clever welders take two Super sumps and join them together to get the same result.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Kav
Not Quite Blue Yet

Rare 6 cylinder

Post by Kav »

Eric, I think that during the early 1960's Napier Bros in Dalby Queensland who were the the Ford dealers and also manufactured a large range of implements and Machinery, many of which were marketed as Ford and painted Blue. They were responsible for fitting up some 6 cylinder conversions back then but they may have only been built to customers orders - I don't know. The tractors that I saw all had a distinctive join in the Bonnet and in the chassis rails. Napiers also set up a lot of tandem Fordsons as this set-up was the cheapest way to get 100+ horsepower. Best regards - Michael.

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Ahhhh! An antipodean Doe. Wonder if there are any pictures kicking about.

Weather looks poor for the Doe Show.

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Hi all, I am back.

I had a look at that tractor. Its a home conversion with an industrial 590E engine. Its a 62 Super Major non live drive with HD clutch, external greaser.

Engine is a bitsa. Its a late 62 cast with FL head but has the early pump.

Rear wheels have been widened with huge tyres for pulling.

The tractor had no wish bone so the front axle was all sloppy.

It was passed in, did not sell at $6k. Last year I passed up a similar tractor with a turbo Dover engine.

The best tractor at the sale was a late 1953 E1ADKN with square PTO box. Very nice.

Steve

PS, how do I get into the Wiki? Ir wont accept my name or password.
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Steven Balang wrote:

Brian wrote:
Access is from HERE then fordsontractorpages and dotty.

Steven. The username and password is of the site, not yours.
Glad you are back with us.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Steven Balang wrote:

Username is fordsontractorpages and password is dotty.

Steven. The username and password is of the site, not yours.
Glad you are back with us.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi All,

Saw the tractor in question today at the Ballan Vintage Machinery Show. It did a couple of pulls in the tractor pull. Up close it is an obvious Bitsa, the front axle only just hangs in there. If it was not being tried to be passed off as a Super Six I would give it credit for being a nicely turned out six cylinder conversion that runs real well. I have no idea why the front axle has not been fitted with the wish bone. The sump on the tractor is shallow enough for a frame to be made up that goes from side rail to side rail that would hold everything in place. Maybe that would give it away as not original. I did get the impression that the owner was looking for a buyer when he did his run. He almost managed a full pull, but too much throttle and a lack of skill in the last few yards probably let him down. I felt sorry for the bloke on the sled though, after the steady and measured pace of the other competitors, this guy just took off like a rocket. At the end he came to such a sudden stop that the weight continued up the rails to the full pull position even though he only got to about 98 yards. It was still no match for the 70 and 90 Hp Chamberlains. A great day out though.

Regards, Frank.

Eric Schulz
True Blue

Post by Eric Schulz »

essex pete wrote:Ahhhh! An antipodean Doe. Wonder if there are any pictures kicking about.
Not Doe-like, but this type of tandeming was common in Australia. This conversion kit was available from your friendly, neighbourhood Fordson dealer. I took this photo at a Fordson field day on a farm not far from home.

Eric

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The one shown in all the Marshal books is the one I would have liked to have seen. Two Field Marshals coupled in a similar frame.

The normal tractor would rock you to sleep and shake everything to bits if you left it ticking over. What two together in the same frame would have been like is frightening! :(
Brian

Robskiddy
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Rare 6 cylinder Super Major

Post by Robskiddy »

There was 3 of these that came out in 62 one had normal rims, one had duel wheels and this one which had 6" put in the rims, we were trying to sell it cause it wouldn't pull but the gavenered shaft wasn't free we still have her to this day

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Rob, welcome aboard!
We Need pictures, and please feel free to tell us more!!!!!!

Pat

janus
True Blue

Post by janus »

what kind of sump is placed under the picture of the six cilinder above ?

a never seen a six cilinder major whit the oil dipstick on the right sight ?

anybody can know what for sump this is ?

greats janus