Clutch advice

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
woodcutter
True Blue

Clutch advice

Post by woodcutter »

Hi all I want to build myself a six cylinder I've got an engine d series 360 and I've got the chance of an early major with single clutch and very tired engine or I've got the chance of super major with a seized engine dual clutch, so wondering what's my best option should I go the super and weld the shafts or try one of these new agriline dual clutch :?: or buy the older major I think it's 4" from engine to clutch rod so not sure what clutch I can put in there? Lorry or 11" tractor any help appreciated

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Clutch advice

Post by Brian »

There is no way I would fit a six into a tractor with a dual clutch, They break up with the normal engine. I have not seen them quite as bad as this one but I have cleared the bits of one out of the clutch housing and seen the clutch on the point of breaking up many times.

The new clutches are of a heavier construction but that is not going to help when the flywheel fractures.

Go with the single clutch. Thicker flywheel and you can also fit a 13" HD clutch if you can find the parts.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Scary pictures, so I could put the lorry clutch and flywheel in early major? Also what parts do I need to change is it just thrust bearing or the whole fork, I want to get this bit write so it will last cheers all

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I've gone for the early major and removed engine it has the single 11" clutch so what's my best option to buy luk replacement 11" clutch from agriline or buy a 13" single supermajor clutch from agriline will the 13 fit on lorry flywheel and will the standard thrust bearing work on super 13" and if the single clutch don't fit do you think the 11" will be man enough for general farm use, I need help on this what would you do brian?

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Well I took the risk and bought a 13" from agriline and it fitted the flywheel perfect and it's gone into the gearbox and I've got a bit of freeplay so hopefully all will be ok I won't know until I fire it up but that's going to be a while off yet