Air compressor

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
woodcutter
True Blue

Air compressor

Post by woodcutter »

Hi all I've got an engine out of a d series lorry still has the compressor on what's best to do with this when fitting engine to major? Should I just remove and put a blanking plate or keep on for pumping up tyres or is it possible to put a power steering pump in its place any advice appreciated.

Steven B
True Blue

Re: Air compressor

Post by Steven B »

woodcutter wrote:Hi all I've got an engine out of a d series lorry still has the compressor on what's best to do with this when fitting engine to major? Should I just remove and put a blanking plate or keep on for pumping up tyres or is it possible to put a power steering pump in its place any advice appreciated.
You can blank it off no issue. I would not leave it on. Not sure on the power steering pump. I have two D series trucks and the power steering pump bolts onto the back of the compressor.There is no listing in the parts book for a pump that bolts into that hole as all trucks have a compressor or on early versions, a vacuum pump. The D series engine should have the three bolt provision that a Fordson power steering pump attaches to on the left front of the cylinder head.

What size engine is it? 330, 360 or 380?

Steven
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

360 not sure what hp that is but I'm just getting engine ready to put in major if I can find a donor, but not sure what to do about clutch, if I find something with a dual clutch is it going to last and has anyone had one of them new dual clutch that agriline do will they stick the extra power or should I just look for an old major with single clutch any advice welcomed

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

There's an oil gallery that goes into compressor bearing if I just put a steel plate on with out blocking this off will oil pressure be lost and are there any proper blanking plates around :?: