Dual drive build

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
bolens1053
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dual drive build

Post by bolens1053 »

I know this is a little bit off topic but it has to do with Fordson. I'm in the USA and I own an e1a major. I have always been fascinated with the doe dual drive tractors. I work for and ingersoll garden tractor dealer and have been thinking about building a dual drive ingersoll tractor. I have not been able to find any pictures of the pivot point on a dual drive. If anyone could post as many pictures as possible of the pivot point of a dual drive it would be much appreciated im still in the design stages of this project but plan with out a doubt in pursuing it.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Dual drive build

Post by Brian »

The Doe system was a pretty complicated turntable arrangement that operated with four hydraulic rams. Strangly I have no clear pictures of the turntable mechanism apart from these if they are any help.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

bolens1053
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bolens1053 »

Thank you for the info and pictures every bit helps im hoping someone has close up pictures of the turntable mechanism.

Les bryant
True Blue

Post by Les bryant »

If you look in tractor & machinery mag there is a write up about a Doe 130
Cheers Les

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

This is the Majority of the main assembly, sort of a lazy Susan with a extra plate sandwiched in the middle to attach the steering cylinders to ingeniously allowing the sharp turning radius of the unit. on the bottom of the housing is a rotatable shaft that is attached to the rear of the front tractor.

Pat

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

In the book Ford Tractor Coversions from Stuart Gibbard ISBN 1-903366-42-9 you find a pretty detailled drawing of the Doe turn table.

Maybe it will help.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

As Les mentioned Tractor & Machinery magazine has been running a series (April edition was part 28 and it is now drawing to a close) restoring a Doe 130 and has covered this with some really good photos, particularly of the joining turning and control components. Don't underestimate what Does did to acheive this tractor range, many people have mashed two tractors, Fordsons and other makes, together for display but I've yet to see one which would stand up to real work and one or two which are potentially unsafe.

I lend on my copies of the comic on and they don't always come back but I'm sure between us we could probably tell you which issues have turntable related stuff in and if you don't know who brings in T & M your side of the pond can probably find out for you if you wanted.

A heck of a project but what a reward at the end of it :D
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

bolens1053
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bolens1053 »

Thanks Pat that is a good picture and description of how it works I believe I understand how it works now. If I am correct the rams push on the plate on the first tractor and also push on the second tractor which swivels separately from the plate the rams are on? I will try to find the book and magazine mentioned by Les, Henk, and oehrick.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

I think you got it, the plate in the middle is merely a movable attachment point for the steering cylinders, If they would have used just one long cylinder on each side attached to both tractors, the rear wheels would have made contact when turning sharp.
I googled "Ford tractor conversions Stewart Gibbard" as Henk mentioned and bought a copy for $1.50 plus shipping from across the pond......Dirt cheap!

Pat

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Hmm, turns out I know this young gentleman as he has a 54 Major and only lives a few miles away from me.

Brett, stop over some day, I have quite a few pics of one of the Doe's that is in the US as I plan on making one myself some day.

Pat

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

You've probably enough tractors between you to make a 4 or 5 engined version Pat, I've seen a 3 engined version in the UK although the back unit was not fully 'servoed'

Try rearing 4 majors up on the sledge :clap:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

bolens1053
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bolens1053 »

Okay I will give you a call and head your way sometime. Thanks again
Brett

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Couple of home made tractor from Australia to show you what can be done.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Nice not needing to worry too much about turning at the headlands Brian :D
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Hmmmm, 4 majors tied together, we could name it the CuatDoe !

Pat

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

No good Pat, I give up, can't come up with a suitable alternative that doesn't have quad in it :)
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure