Topper size

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Jim Storm
Not Quite Blue Yet

Topper size

Post by Jim Storm »

Good morning all. This is my first post, having just bought a longed for 1961 Dexta. I’ve also treated myself to a topper. It’s a Teagle 510. I went for it as it is so simple and has a 5 ft blade. I’m worried that it maybe too big as the tractor is struggling.
The transmission oil is a bit milky so I’ll change that plus the rear axle is very low which I’ll remedy.
My question is the topper too big or is the lack of oil that is at fault.
I have 25 lts of 20W/50 on order from Morris which I’ll stick before attempting anything else.

ianpdexta
True Blue

Re: Topper size

Post by ianpdexta »

I use a 5ft topper on my Super Dexta, I think the answer is, it will be fine if you don't go too fast, I run at full revs and then select the gear depending on how thick and long the grass is, if the engine is slowing down under load then change down a gear or two. Overloading the engine is defined as when the engine won't respond to increased throttle setting.

Rergards

Ian

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Hi JIm
I have a 6ft Flemming Topper on my 1959 Dexta and it runs really well. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but my initial thoughts are:

1. Are the Topper blades sharp?
2. Try a lower gear e.g, 3rd in low box
3. If the grass/weeds are tall/thick then cut in stages, lowering the linkage at each pass, although mine glides through thick grass and weeds.
4. Given the oil problems in the gearbox and rear axle the Dexta may have had a bit of a hard life and suffered from poor servicing so may be breathing - does it start ok? (if not that's usually a sign of worn rings, valves etc.) so may need an engine restore. This is what I found with mine - bought it cheap but it was a poor starter and I subsequently found it needed a complete engine overhaul - not so cheap.

good luck and let us know how you get on

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

Jim Storm
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jim Storm »

Hi Mike and Ian,
Thanks very much for your replies. Mike it was a really good starter until I allowed it to run out of fuel! I thought there was plenty but the stand pipe is higher than I thought. Tomorrow’s job will be bleeding it through. It was standing, doing nothing for two years but everything was working very well until I tried the topper.
Once I’ve replenished the oil and got it running again, I’ll put out a progress report.