Advice needed - Dexta losing power

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
MikesDexta
True Blue

Advice needed - Dexta losing power

Post by MikesDexta »

Following a successful afternoon's topping I noticed the primer pump was leaking. After investigating the source I decided to replace the primer (it had been chewed by pigs a few years back) and also change the fuel line to the heater manifold as the nut that screws up to the primer pump was old and rounded. But after doing this and bleeding the fuel lines properly, the new fuel pipe leaked at the primer end and the tractor started to lose power in thick grass (no smoke, just losing power). I took it back to the Agriline Distributor who said it had a convex end to the pipe and it should have been concave like my old pipe. He lopped off the offending end and made a new one using a Sealey device. I then fitted it, bled the fuel lines but it has made no difference, it still leaks and the Dexta still loses power! I now suspect the primer is to blame but would this cause the loss of power or am I missing something? The only other thing I have done recently was to remove and replace the dynamo and fit a new fan belt.

Also, because of the fuel leak I have been turning the fuel tap off when not in use then fully opened it to start it today. It starts on the button as always. I'm convinced it's a fuel starvation problem but at a loss as to what is causing it.
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Advice needed - Dexta losing power

Post by Bensdexta »

Yes it sounds like fuel starvation.
Is the tap on your new primer (assuming it has a tap) opening properly? One I had, had a poorly formed gallery. In tank fuel filter clear?

Could you refit your old fuel pipe to eliminate that?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Thanks Ben I'm resigning myself to removing the tank again. I read your 2010 post where you found what looked to be a partially drilled hole so I will check that.

cheers
Mike
1959 Dexta

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

I removed the primer and it looks ok except the internal thread for the manifold heater is trashed. I must have cross-threaded it without realising but hell's teeth the metal must be soft! I've ordered a new primer and will fit a new connector to the fuel line.

Although this must be the cause of the leak I still don't know if this is the cause of the fuel starvation? If I was getting too much air but enough fuel I would expect white smoke. I think I will blow out the fuel lines to the lift pump and to the injectors just in case.

1959 Dexta

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Just by way of an update, a new primer and carefully screwing in the fuel lines sorted this out. I
1959 Dexta