Oh No!

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
naildriver
True Blue

Oh No!

Post by naildriver »

I had most everything back together, ready to set the valve train and adjust. My last piece was to remove the engine lift point off the intake back corner and attach the metal plate that holds the oil bath. I started trying to fit the hose from the oil bath to the intake but it did not want to go so I thought if I took one bolt out and loosened the other bolt that I could twist everything to fit better. After I get the hose fitted, I no longer had the bolt I removed in my hand???? I was doing to much and holding to much in that hand, but wanted it ready to reinstall. I can't find that bolt. I have looked in the oil bath but I fear it went in in the oil gravity passage hole, the rear one of the two on the head. Right over the cam???? I have looked inside with a snake camera bore but I can't make out anything. I assume there is not enough room for it to go between the cam and the outside of the case, but I can't remember if it could go between the cam the other way???? Could it fall straight through? Would it hang on top of the cam where I could see it? I don't want to take this back down.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Oh No!

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Might be sticking my head out, can you get hold of a narrow magnet and try to fish it out if it is where you think it is? When things like that happen we always think of the worst situation. Have you had a good look around the intake and exhaust manifolds or even down by the starter motor?

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

I done the same thing and the same panic set in ,don't move a thing , get that thin magnet
and slip it down in around the cam shaft , that's where I was lucky and found mine
it hadn't rolled down the oil holes before you start hunting with magnet bung up the holes
of oil ways I think there are two, with cloth or same, if it did go down then take the sump
plate off an try searching sump
good luck

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Found it. It was not in the hole

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Now thats a 'Good' day :clap: :clap:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Well done, now tell us where you found it Nail driver?

bobfaecullen
True Blue

Post by bobfaecullen »

was it on the tractor seat ?

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

The bane of my bolt (and other fixings) loss is when it eventually turns up jammed in the tread of my boot :curse:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

That is hilarious, :lol: :oops: .