Starter motor won't stop turning

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
colinagar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Starter motor won't stop turning

Post by colinagar »

I have a 1957 Major. Started it today but the starter kept whirring around. Stopped engine and switched key off but starter kept going. Only when I disconnected the battery did it stop. Having looked at other posts I'm beginning to think it might be a faulty solenoid but can anyone advise?

Also I have Positive earth, so when I disconnect the battery which terminal should I disconnect first?

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Starter motor won't stop turning

Post by Puffie40 »

Ground should be disconnected first. I don't think it matters if it's negative or positive ground.

I agree it's likely the solenoid, as turning the key off should have deenergized the solenoid if it was something like a sticky starter switch.

If the solenoid opens after tapping it with a hammer (be careful not to short something!) then you need a new one.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

If its the pre engage type with a switch over the end of the motor to pull in the solenoid it could also be the switch, although if the wiring is correct from the ignition switch this is less likely, a hammer handle knock on the solenoid ought to disengage if it is sticking. Strangely mine did this to me a couple of times recently.

Welcome aboard, are you in S. Norfolk, SMEE and on the MElist Colin ?
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

colinagar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by colinagar »

Thanks for the advice - problem solved.