intake heater

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
markr1001
True Blue

intake heater

Post by markr1001 »

So its winter here in canada and has been very cold. My 57 major has been getting alot of use for snow duty. I seem to have a hard time remembering to plug the tractor in so when i turn on the outlet i think its warming up but not. So i was wondering has any one had sucess in installing a manifold heater like offered on some tractors or even a couple glow plugs to help assist? I have access to a full machine shop at work and have a good salvage yard a few minutes down the road from my house where i can scavenge parts.

Or should i just put a sign on my garage door saying plug tractor in dummy?

Pavel
True Blue

Re: intake heater

Post by Pavel »

G'day Mark.
Your mention of manifold heaters and glow plugs, because of your Arctic winter temperatures, brought the thought of No! No! -- you need all the battery power you have to churn the engine over.
You could invest in a can of ether, I suppose, which might do the trick. But I do remember many, many moons ago during a winter snow and icy period in Britain that we connected a spot light to a timer and placed the light under the tractor [clear of oil and coolant drips]. This created enough warmth over a few hours to assist the atomising of diesel fuel.
Just a thought -- what do you mean by 'the outlet'?
Pavel

markr1001
True Blue

Post by markr1001 »

Id never use eather. Thats a good way to kill a motor. Mine turns over real good. I have a big battery in it. I just hoped to have a backup way for when i forget to plug her in.

Outlet is what we in canada refer to a power receptical. I have a battery operated switch for mine so i can control the power from in the house. Then i also have a light so i can conferm it did infact turn on.

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Ah; well. Eat more 'greens' -- it's supposed to improve the memory.
Pavel

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Wonder what the year was you refer to, Pavel. Back in the sixties, perhaps, when winters were colder more regularly.
My father was in the REME. During the war he described how in extremis they would light a fire under the sump, laid in such a way that the flames didn't lick anywhere near cables, fan belts etc.
Not recommending that here!
Best, Adrian.

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

A bit earlier than that, Adrian -- 1951 when I was 16 and on a farm someways from Salisbury. We were snowed in for a week and had to use a Fergie tractor over the fields to get to a bakery and shop for supplies at a place called Broadchalk. I remember being frozen stiff travelling on a shovel/scraper attached to the 3 point linkage.
The system I described was also used to incubate chook eggs, and very young chicks, during frosty weather -- as well as ensuring a tractor was always available to feed stock at 7am in the morning. Happy days!
Fortunately I, and others, did not have to resort to your REME memories during my 3 years in the Canal Zone of Egypt.
Pavel

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

What lovely pictures you paint, Pavel. I can just imagine you shivering and swaying in rhythm with the movement of the three-point linkage. I have been to the shops on a Major under similar circumstances. Great fun!
Yes, the lamp approach is an excellent solution. Diesels may be reluctant to start in cold weather, but they certainly love the icy air once they are up to temperature - more oxygen molecules for any given volume of air. Same applies to us - in terms of breathing, I mean!
Wonder what you got up to along the Suez Canal. Different set of challenges!
Best, Adrian.

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Yes, Adrian; agree with your physics -- especially the gas laws. [things go better with oxygen (with apologies)].

Challenges and adjustments: Living in a 6 man tent; the smell from neighbouring Ismailia; having to always go armed; wary of wires stretched between trees either side of the Canal road. But there were good memories. Hours spent travelling in the pure, if hot, desert air on motorbikes, Jeeps or Landrovers . As the Colonel's driver for a while I took him to our embassy in Cairo a few times and managed to visit the Pyramids and Sphinx. Driving in Cairo was like a UK traffic lights grand prix, but between police on boxes at intersections. As a small detachment of Army Public Relations we hosted media reporters and photographers, showing them how our lads were fairing; one such was a trip to Tobruk -- by ship, not Landrover. And, of course, cheap duty free booze and smokes and the regular swimming in the Canal lakes.
Best of all it whetted and fostered my curiosity in things automotive. Later, when I became N.C.O i/c of our small M.T section, I stripped down carburettors, wiper motors and dynamos etc. and if I was unable to re-assemble them properly a short visit to REME workshop mates soon showed me how. I was in my father's [killed at Dunkirk] mob -- the RASC. All up not a bad learning cycle for an 18 to 21 year old bloke.
Well; you did ask.
Pavel

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Yes, Pavel, I did ask, and I'm glad I did!
What exploits. A different world then. More lovely images evoked. When we see images of Egypt today on tv, few would realise that men like you operated there under British administration.
You and your comrades must have done a good job. I have worked with Egyptians in KSA and they were Britophiles to a man.
Sorry to hear what happened to your father.
Looks like the warm climes got into your blood, considering where you reside now.
Thanks again for the images.
Best, Adrian.
ps I studied Russian at the State University in Leningrad. I'm intrigued by your name!

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

My mother always had 'ideas beyond her station' as they say, Adrian. She named me Paul [which I've always disliked] and my sister Fenella. Twelve years ago, when I met my present wife, she learnt of my dislike -- made worse by having 5 other Pauls in her circle of friends; plus a wayward foster son also a Paul. Since Judith had a close friendship with a Czech Count [he went to university here in Oz with her son], had visited his family a few times, had a smattering of the country's language, she suggested the mid- European version of the name, Pavel. I liked it and adopted it.
As an adjunct to the Canal Zone saga: When returning to Oz in '73 the plane was stopping at Cairo airport and I was quite looking forward to enjoying a Stella beer again. Unfortunately it only stopped for an hour and we were not allowed off the aircraft.
Pavel.

Matt85
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Matt85 »

I did it to my '57 Major. It worked pretty good till I broke the flame heater. I don't have any pictures right now. I used a flame heater meant for a Massey Ferguson tractor. I got a guy to weld a 7/8th inch nut to my intake manifold so I could screw the heater into. Here's a video of another guy's Major with a intake heater.

https://youtu.be/g9r3wiHJIhQ

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Ah! Mystery solved!
Going back to the Canal Zone, presumably you were issued with SMLEs? [Trying very hard to think of a Major connection here!]
Best, Adrian.

Matt85
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Matt85 »

It's been too cold for me to go take any pictures but I did find two on my phone.

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Sorry Adrian; I must be a bit dense. What are SMLEs?
I also agree that I/we appear to have hijacked the subject matter supposedly under discussion here. I apologise.
Pavel

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Short Muzzle Lee Enfield perchance ?? I've a Victorian assayed model - have been enjoying your reminiscences Pavel, although I feel we should use 'Count Pavel' now we know........
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Yes, as Rick says, Lee Enfield 303s. Perfect for desert conditions. No jamming issues in all that dust.
Back to this thread, liking the look of the inlet manifold heater. Wonder how effective it is?
Best, Adrian.