Dexta Diesel Tank Jelly!

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Dexta1987
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta Diesel Tank Jelly!

Post by Dexta1987 »

Hi,

I removed my Dexta diesel tank to service the steering box and after draining off the diesel from the tank I notice there is a clear jelly like substance in the base of the tank.
Could this be a diesel and water mix of sorts?
Is seems to be all over the base but can be scraped easily so is not stuck to the tank base.
Any ideas for cleaning this?
The tank is a bit rusty on the base so I don’t want to pressure wash it but maybe it’s ok as long as I dry the tank immediately after flushing.
Any tips for a cleaner I could use?
Appreciate your suggestions.

Dexta1987

Emiel
True Blue

Re: Dexta Diesel Tank Jelly!

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

You clearly have, what in the Netherlands is called "dieselpest". This is a mix of bacteria, growing in diesel and moisture in the tank. Famous for clogging up fuel lines, filters etc.

My solution would be: Fit tank to tractor, take out fuel tap and clean the tank with a pressure washer with really hot steamy water. Al the sludge will wash out. Afterwards set a haidryer in the tank opening to dry the tank out.

You can't do much to prevent this, using your tractor more and don't let the diesel get to old.

rgds

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Dexta1987
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Dexta Diesel Tank Jelly!

Post by Dexta1987 »

Thank you Emil.
I removed the tank and power washed it thoroughly followed by inverting it and drying it quickly using a hair dryer and some newspaper to soak up any residual moisture.
The jelly like muck that came out of the tank was horrific but it cleaned up perfectly.
The inlet to the tap was also nearly fully blocked as there was only a slow trickle from it but while I had the tank off I fully cleaned the tap too and all is back together with fresh fuel as well.
Thanks again for your help. :D