temperature gauge problems

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
botchit
Not Quite Blue Yet

temperature gauge problems

Post by botchit »

I am experiencing difficulty sourcing a replacement temperature gauge unit for my Dexta. I have bought one from Agriline but the meter does not fit the orginal (or the replacement) dash plate and the thermocouple looks 2 to 3x larger than the one I have extracted from the waterpump body. I have checked my mates super dexta and it looks the same. Has anyone had this problem before and can suggest where to buy the right part?

thanks

Botchit

john.n
True Blue

Re: temperature gauge problems

Post by john.n »

I have come across these before. there are 2 types avalable. i would send it baack and explain the problem. might just be left over stock.

regards,
john

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

I ahev bought two so far.

The first I obtained from a well known supplier beginning with A when I bought my new cylinder head and it does not fit.

The second I got from Queensbury CCS Tractor Parts and that fits well
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

botchit
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by botchit »

thanks Guys,

I have spoken to Agriline and they state it is the standard unit??? I will try Queenberry......

cheers

Botchit

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Here is quick pic of the second one I got in place.

botchit
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by botchit »

thanks for the photos Russelm,

It looks like the unit I have (comparing size of thermocouple to size of holes in the dash plate)!I'll go back to the tractor to check I have removed all of the old t'couple which broke up on removal (a right botch job?)

thanks again

Botchit

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Its the fit into the plate I had an issue with as the first one I bought had a bezel that was to large.

I suspect the bulb needs to be pretty large as it looks to be a capillary type sensor/gauge setup.

All I realy need now is a gauge that shows C rather than F as I have no clue what F is in modern/real temps! :clap:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

russelm wrote:Its the fit into the plate I had an issue with as the first one I bought had a bezel that was to large.
Mark,
Have you a photo of the top of the gauge showing the bezel? Also its dia and depth (height ?) would be v useful? Also is the bezel dia more or less than the hole in the enfo cover plate?

Measurements for the temp gauge I have are: bez OD 56mm, depth 4.5mm.

Does the rubber gasket sit around the gauge's bezel or on top of it? When the enfo plate is screwed down, does it bed onto the rubber gasket or contact directly on top of the bezel?

Do your lens covers & tacho sit directly on the panel or do have they a gasket under them?

It's the details that make all the difference :wink:
TIA
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

botchit
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by botchit »

[quote="russelm"]I ahev bought two so far.

The first I obtained from a well known supplier beginning with A when I bought my new cylinder head and it does not fit.

The second I got from Queensbury CCS Tractor Parts and that fits well[/quote]

Mark

Do you have the contact details for Queenberry? They sell mainly on Ebay but contact details are hard to find!

cheers

Dave

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

botchit wrote:
russelm wrote:The second I got from Queensbury CCS Tractor Parts and that fits well
Do you have the contact details for Queenberry?
Comes up on google: Queensbury CCS, Broomhill Farm Workshop, Lockerbie, Dumfries and Galloway, DG11 2LT
Located 2.5 miles of M74 heading for Dumfries.
Tel: 01576 203970 or 01387 810878
queensberryccs@yahoo.co.uk

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

I've just fitted my temp gauge, which I also got from Queensberry and is just like Russelm's:Image
It fits a treat and I managed to fit it without removing the fuel tank - I undid the 3 tank mounting bolts and slid tank to one side and the probe went down the gap fine.

Only problem is the wire is way too long - looks like it's long enough for a Major. What do folk do with the extra length?

Thought I would coil it up and hide it under the fuel tank?

Any suggestions appreciated! :wink:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Temperature gauge problems

Post by Bensdexta »

I took the upper dash apart again to fit the circlip on the throttle rod under the upper dash. Now I can't get the panel to sit down properly. The gauge wire keeps catching on the lip at the rear of the tube down the fuel tank, down which the wire must go. The upper rubber tube around the gauge wire is perfectly designed to foul on the lip. :curse:
What a mare the Dexta upper dash is! :curse: :evil:

And do I hate those old fashion temp gauges! An electric gauge has got to be the way to go - shame no one makes one.

I'll try again in the morning with a piece of thread looped around the rubber tube to pull in forwards, and so hopefully clearing the lip as I fit the panel.

Anyone got any clever tips to beat this :twisted: into submission??