Fordson crawler restoration. Finding parts?

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Priestley
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson crawler restoration. Finding parts?

Post by Priestley »

Hi all,

I'm a new member, thought I'd say hello and try and find some info.

Are there any companies that make aftermarket parts for the crawlers? I've done some google searching, looked through ebay aus and ebay uk without coming across many parts.

Any links to websites on restoration or parts would be very much appreciated!

A few pictures of the old girl if anyone is interested:

Image[/img]

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Priestley,

Can you tell us what parts you are looking for. I had three crawlers, two P6's and a Kero, and sold the last of them last year. I may have a couple of new clutch carriers. Parts for crawlers are scarse and people that have them, are a bit reluctant to part with them (they all have the hope of rebuilding their own).

Where were the photos taken, thought I recognised the area.
BarryM

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Priestley,

Congratulations on finding a great looking machine. Looks like you have a slightly more complete Crawler than mine given the fact that your radiator is not on the ground beside the tracks and there seems to be an exhaust attached to an engine somewhere.

If the parts you are looking for are anything to do with the tractor part of the crawler ie. engine gearbox etc. I can give you a list of people to try. As for the county parts it looks like we should both be talking to Barry from the sounds of things.

Seems like you are close by, maybe we should catch up and swap notes one day.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Wecome aboard. Cool old Crawler you have there. :D Is that old Crawler powerd with an E27N motor? Or older? Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Priestley
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Priestley »

Thanks for the replies!

BarryM,

at the moment I'm not looking for any particular parts. I thought there might be a company around that made replica parts similar to those I've seen for the Fordson tractors. It doesn't look like this is the case, so second hand parts or fabrication seem to be the way to go if something needs replacing in the future.

The photos were taken in Hilldene, Victoria, just outside of Seymour and 1.5 hours north of Melbourne. Its been sitting in that spot for around 20 years. In the second photo you can see the dam my uncle made with it.

Frank,

Where abouts are you located? Swapping notes in the future would be good, my knowledge of the crawlers is pretty limited at this point!

This crawler is complete minus a couple of battery terminals that someone took (probably to fix a car). It was running fine until parked, but will need some tlc before it runs again.

The tractor parts of the crawler aren't too much of a problem. My uncle has three Fordsons sitting around for parts (there were 5, but two were stolen). He used to pick them up for $100 each... long gone are those days. Track gear, brakes, rams and hydraulic parts will probably be the parts we need in the future at a guess.

Dave,

Thanks for the welcome. I believe it is an E27n motor, but I will have to take a closer look next time I'm there to confirm. If I have a camera I'll get some better pictures too.

Priestley
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Priestley »

In my searches this crawler on ebay.co.uk came up. Thought someone might be interested in seeing it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORDSON-FORD-COUN ... 500wt_1182

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Priestley,

I am in Brunswick. I only have one tractor at home at the moment. The others are either in Tullamarine where I have a warehouse for a short while, or waiting to be picked up. I got some interesting reactions when I drove my working tractor out of the back yard to do some gardening in the front a few months back. I am sure the whole street thinks I am nuts. I know my wife does.

My crawler is missing some of the panels and one idler roler and the engine. I have a few leads on an engine but they are all dead ones. I didn't want to have to do another engine rebuild, but I think it will be the easiest way to get an engine. At least I know where to get all the parts for a rebuild after having rebuilt the engine in my working tractor. As for the panels and the roler I was planning to hand them over to a good friend of mine who has lots of contacts in the fabrication industry. He is a pattern maker by trade so getting new rolers cast will be no problem. If you need any panels or rolers PM me with a list and maybe we can get a bit of a volume discount happening :wink:

Regards, Frank.

P.S. I am currently looking for a couple of 28 x 15 inch cast rims to take 16.9 x 28 tyres to fit my E27N P6. If any of the tractors your uncle has had them I would be very interested in purchasing them.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Priestley
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Priestley »

Hi Frank,

I can't imagine many people use Fordson tractors in Brunswick, that would have been an interesting site to see :D

If an engine in working condition comes up in my searches I'll let you know. Not sure what wheels are around, but I'll chat to my uncle to see what he has. Getting him to part with anything could be a bit hard, but you never know.