hedgerow tractor

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
shergar
True Blue

hedgerow tractor

Post by shergar »

hello all have found an old fordson n :?: in the hedgeback at my uncles farm and i'am trying to find out it's true age , with all the tractor manauals have found the old log book and was first regesterd in 1946 and with no other owners thourght we have had her from new but now have found the orignal receipt for a reconditiond fordson tractor on spade lugs dated 1946 , the tractor i've found has tyres but sure is the same one ,no sign of the spade lugs , the front wheels also look differnt to other fordson n's i've seen , the same as the ones on the picture ,so i now know she's older than 1946 what is the best way to find out it's age , do i have to look for casting numbers or are there other ways , going to have break out the chainsaw and borrow the merlo from work when i get some spare time , someone told me not to tow it out because you can damage the worm gear is this right any advice would be great.
thanks wayne
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... sgathrGvBQ

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Back Away from the wheel and give us a photo of the whole tractor. :wink: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

sorry i got that photo off google images just to show what the front wheels were like , i'll break out the chainsaw this weekend and get some proper photos.
regards wayne

Tim W
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tim W »

You can damage the worm by towing, best avoided if possible.
If it still turns over, take the plugs out, put some oil in the bores put it in gear and crank it out...

- I've seen similar wheels on a 1930's N, I think they are aftermarket/non Fordson and allow adjustable track width. The ones I've seen have been painted red, but I can't remember the maker.

There are casting numbers and differences in wing width/length and also colour that can help identify year - I'm sure someone on here can help. - look on the front page of this site under the F & N section - there's a list of serial numbers and dates that should be useful

Tim

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

thanks for all the advice guys . the engine is siezed so i'll have to lift her out , how much do they weigh :?:
thanks wayne

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

hello all got some better pictures of that hedgerow model n , shes well bedded in , engine is seized so theres no way of cranking her out , thinking of borrowing works tele handler but with boom fully out she will only lift 1.5 tons ,can't get realy close because of a big oak tree it's under, so does anyone know what the tractor weighs . at the end of the day would it be worth restoring or should i let it go for spares :?: and how much is she worth :?:
many thanks wayne
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49293148@N07/
Last edited by shergar on Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
i love driving tractors me!

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Shergar,

The Fordson Model N has a listed weight of 3480 lbs. This is a fraction over 1 1/2 ton NOT TONNES.
BarryM

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

BarryM wrote:The Fordson Model N has a listed weight of 3480 lbs. This is a fraction over 1 1/2 ton NOT TONNES.
Long ton and Tonne are almost the same. 3480lbs = 1.57 Tonne
1000Kg = 1 Tonne :wink:
Last edited by Bensdexta on Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

sorry lads never had much to do with imperial measurements , a ton to me is a 1000kg , the max lift weight was at load centre of forks so i'll use the lift eye on end of boom which should give me enough lift , if not i'll get our lass to sit on the back to act as counter balance :lol: . would she be worth doing up , needs all new tin work fuel tank engine siezed , in fact probably everthing is siezed don't know how much she is worth in the condition she's in , probably do up to sell on to finance another project, still got original log book and receipt of purchase so theres a bit of history with it , thanks again for all the advice guys.
regards wayne
i love driving tractors me!