fordson f start up

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
ajsfordson
Not Quite Blue Yet

fordson f start up

Post by ajsfordson »

hope someone can help

tryed getting a spark from my fordson f tonight for the first time i can get 2 or 3 volts at the pick up point from the fly wheel when turning it over by hand but no spark?? so disconnected the lead from the pick up point and conected it to a battery turned it over and got a grate spark why dose it not spark when using the power from the fly wheel

many thanks please help

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: fordson f start up

Post by Dandy Dave »

If it is wired with original buzz coils and fly wheel mag, you should have a 6 volt battery for starting and a switch to switch it over after it starts. The flywheel mag is actually an AC dynamo, and will put out as much as 12 volts AC when working properly at engine speed. Also, be sure the plug on top of the mag is clean inside where it contacts the windings. If I remember right , I believe it is held by 3 screws and has a spring loaded contact. These get dirty over time. Most of all, Do not forget to retard the spark. These old dogs will break your arm and not feel one least bit sorry about it. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

ajsfordson
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ajsfordson »

thank you for replying i shall do a bit more cleaning up

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Also, it would be a good idea to check the timer to be sure it is not full of oil, and that the surface is smooth that the roller runs on. If yours is worn, new ignition parts are available, and are the same as a Model T Ford. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major