Which dash box to use

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
1949E27N
True Blue

Which dash box to use

Post by 1949E27N »

Hi, as my user name suggest I have a 1949 E27N. Am just wondering If there is a correct dash/instrument box to use for my model. It is a petrol/kero engine.
I have both kidney shape dash box and the larger square type.
The larger one has the starter button as well as the voltage regulator on/in it. Where are these items mounted if I use the kidney style box?
Thank,
Chris

Tim W
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Which dash box to use

Post by Tim W »

The kidney shaped dash is the right one for your tractor, the square one is for P6/late models.
- should have starter button and amp meter in the middle, horn button on the right and light switch on the left.
Tim
1947 E27N, some grey ones and a 1953 AJS 350...

moretoot
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by moretoot »

Hi Chris,
The oblong box was introduced in March 1949 so depending the date your tractor was made either is correct. The oblong was fitted to both si and diesel tractors. As a matter of interest is your tractor fitted with radiator shutters and or a pressurized cooling system?
Regards
Pat

1949E27N
True Blue

Post by 1949E27N »

Hi, the date on the engine is D5N so I believe that means the date of manufacture to be the 5th of april 1949.
My tractor does have a pressurised cooling system but does not have radiator shutters

moretoot
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by moretoot »

Hi, thanks for the info re pressurized system, I have an ex Australian 1950 fitted with a P 6 which is why I was interested as it would seem as some were and some weren't in '48 /'49.
Anyway your dating is spot on so it looks as it the oblong box is the correct one for your tractor.
Regards