Grille and Crank Handle Question

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
1949E27N
True Blue

Grille and Crank Handle Question

Post by 1949E27N »

Hi, I have two grilles and crank handles for my 1949E27N.
My question is - in the photo you will notice the grille which is not on the tractor. What model Forsdon was this grille originally on and what year models?
Would it be wrong to put it on my tractor as it is in much better condition than my smashed up one???
Also the crank handle which is not on the tractor has a spring on it which pushes the handle out from the dog. should I have the spring on the tractor? At this stage it does not have one but that doesn't mean it hasn't been removed previously. I noticed the crank handle which still has the spring has a hole drilled through which I'm assuming a pin went through to retain the spring. My tractor handle doesn't have this hole.

Thanks Guys

brockwood
True Blue

Re: Grille and Crank Handle Question

Post by brockwood »

hi as far as i know and one allways learns the crank should have the spring how ever if the dog is a bit worn it can make it jump out the flat grill i belive is pre 48 49 suposedly they changed when the perkins came out to improve cooling which is that time however we are allways a bit behind out here and the petrols probly used them up one of my perkins has the flat grill allso has light axales and rear tank filler hole b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi My E27N has the spring on the starting handle it is a pain in the a@@ to use with it though as you have to fight the spring pressure while trying to hold the handle in the start dog :wink: .
My dad farmed with E27N's and said I should take the spring off as none of the ones they used had them and it would make the handle easier to use :) . I'm wondering if the spring is there to make sure the handle does not stay engaged when the motor starts .
The spring is only a problem for me when i don't have a spare battery around as mine has electric start :lol: I might just leave it on. I guess the choice is yours on what to do.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Tim W
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tim W »

Flat grills changed to the thinner type late 48/early 49, I'd guess there'd be a gradual changeover so you wouldn't be too far off.

- either way a good one is better than a broken one even if its not techically correct... your choice!!
1947 E27N, some grey ones and a 1953 AJS 350...

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Keep the dog area very clean as dirt etc can keep the handle engaged when it fires up and you don't want a bust wrist/arm. Remember to keep your thumb on the same side as your fingers on the handle too so when it does start the handle can pull out of your grip.
You should also have the U clip in place below the radiator grille to retain the handle upright so it dosn't catch in grass etc when running.
Jerry
Bath
UK
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

moretoot
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by moretoot »

Hi Jerry,
I agree with all you say save the reason for keeping ones thumb on the same side as the fingers. It is not so that that the handle can pull out of your grip when she starts - it would do that anyway if the handle caught in the dog which I have never known happen on an E27N. It is in case it kicks back and if your thumb is round the handle it will break your thumb - very painful and I'm told only happens once as once is enough to learn the lesson. But I bet you never tried to swing your L4 anyway!
A happy New Year to you all
Pat