fordson f or n worm cap nut ? drive

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
brockwood
True Blue

fordson f or n worm cap nut ? drive

Post by brockwood »

Hi i have seen refrences to a drive being taken off the worm nut of a f or n to make a ground drive pto or to power various types of aftermarket machinery was told of a hay mower but im thinking more about industral machinery and motor vehicles i have seen belt pully pto conversions and of course later n ptos but this is off the worm nut any body got any specifics it seems simple enough thow how would you stop it undoing in rev .also would like to know about high speed worms i have seen an old add for the w k brand worm which is 11 to 1 instead of 17to 1 for a f not shaw about n ratio anyone no of others ? thanks B
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

1962 model
True Blue

Re: fordson f or n worm cap nut ? drive

Post by 1962 model »

Hello Brockwood,
The "N" models had a PTO that takes it drive from the side, where the rectangle cover plate is located, a shaft runs down the right side of the gearbox with a support bracket attatched to the rear axle tube with longer bolts.

This drive unit may have been similar to the later E 27 N hydraulic drive fitted with a different shaft.

The cap drive you mentioned may have been when extra drive was taken off for conversions like the full track Fordsons.

I have seen what appears to be a different ratio worm as it had a more lead angle, but don't know how common they are? If you create a seperate topic on worm ratios it may be a good Idea, and produce the results you ask for.

Hope this helps, Mike