Raised PTO

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Raised PTO

Post by BarryM »

For Aussie Frank,

Frank, Raised PTO's were available for the E27N, both of them manufactured in Australia. One was made by H.V.McKay Massey-Harris. They made Raised PTO's for the Model N, E27N and New Majors and many other tractors. It was of the chain driven type, and naturally mainly for use with Sunshine Harvesters. The second one was made in Adelaide by Southcott Engineering and was marketed as the Maidrite Raised PTO. Maidrite also manufactured the Under drive or Over drive transmission for the E27N, thus giving it 6 forward & 2 reverse gears. They also manufactured a Rear End Belt Pulley.
BarryM

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Barry,

That is great news. I suspect however that those parts may be extremely rare, but that is the challenge of rebuilding an old machine. Any tips on where I might find any of these parts, in particular the Maidrite unit. I have heard of the Maidrite transmission before but not the raised PTO. Do you know if any of the raised PTOs were a reduction drive? It is the 1.3 : 1 reduction on the E1A Major raised PTO that is of the greatest interest to me because it gives me more PTO horsepower.

Regards, Frank.

P.S. If any of you hear about a bloke running around looking up tractor rear ends in the future, don't worry it is not some deviate who wants to do nasty things to the old girl, it’s only me looking for a Maidrite raised PTO :wink:

Kav
Not Quite Blue Yet

Raised PTO Units.

Post by Kav »

Hi Barry and Frank, During the 1950's there were a lot of Raised PTO units fabricated, mainly to fit up the Sunshine PTO headers which were very popular then. They had to have the drive shaft fairly level or the Drum chain would whip and eventually break. The common way with the E27N was to fabricate a frame to attach to the mounting holes on the rear of the transmission housing. On this frame there were a pair of LAK Plummer block type sealed roller bearings with a shaft which was plain where it went through the bearings and had the standard PTO spline out the back. Between the bearings there was a 1 inch pitch roller chain sprocket with about 25 or 26 teeth driven from below by a 20 tooth sprocket mounted on a splined sleeve on the PTO. You varied the sprocket size to give the standard 540 rpm PTO speed, whether you had a Perkins Diesel, which was faster, or the Kerosene Tractor. These worked very well and were simple to construct. Best regards - Michael

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Michael and Barry,

Do either of you, or for that mater anyone else, have any photos of any of these conversions? I am very curious to see what they looked like.

Regards, Frank.

Kav
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kav »

Hi Barry and Frank - Did you both see the three P6 Fordson Tractors which were sold on E-bay yesterday from near here at Warwick (Qld). One of them (the one on Steel Wheels) was fitted with the Raised PTO and the Yoke for attaching to a Sunshine Header. It would appear that two of them were sold to Switzerland and the other to England. You might be able to get a copy of the PTO on it but the photo is not really clear. Best regards - Michael.

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Raised PTO

Post by BarryM »

Hi Kav,

Yes, I saw those 3 P6's on ebay. Wouldn't fancy paying the freight on them. You mentioned the Sunshine Raised PTO on one of them. I didn't see it, but I do have the Sales Leaflet for the Sunshine unit suitable for the Fordson Model N, E27N and E1A. If I can find it, I'll post a copy of it.
BarryM

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Kav,

I saw the P6s as well and did have a good look at the one with the raised PTO. It looks like a simple build, so I might just give it a go when I get some time. Unfortunately I did not save the auction links so I missed out on the final price and the winner. P6 fordsons must be very rare in Europe for someone to be willing to ship one from Australia. Can't blame them for wanting one though, my tractor Marion is an amazing machine. Started her last week after sitting for nearly 3 months with a half flat battery. (I stole the battery to jump start my Triumph and never did put it on the charger.) Two turns over compression and she was running, the Triumph took a lot more to get going.

Regards, Frank.

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

Aussie Frank wrote: Unfortunately I did not save the auction links so I missed out on the final price and the winner.
Frank,
You can always look backward at auctions over a few months.
Try this, it will find them (and lots of others :? ).

Use the "advanced search" link, just to the right of the main Search button.
Enter your search term. e.g. Fordson tractor
TICK the Show completed Listings Only box. You can set other filters too, but from within Australia, just doing the above will list them.
Hope that helps.

Rick
'
Regards,
Rick

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Meanderer,

I did the search and found the listings. I don't know how someone from Europe would pay the money for one of these tractors that they did and pay for the shipping as well! Thanks for the tip.

Regards, Frank.

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

I know exactly what you mean Frank. Every time Brian talks about those two Dextas going from New Zealand to England I get bewildered as I was quoted $9,000 to hire a 20' x 20' container from Sydney to Toronto! One explanation on my cost though might be that I think my container would go to West Coast and then rail or road the 4,000 km overland.
'
Regards,
Rick