Fordson E27N Major - Posted by David in Wales

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Fordson E27N Major - Posted by David in Wales

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Relocated posting from David in Wales - Moved from New Major Forum - Mike

Built in Dagenham ENgland from 1945 to 1952, these were popular tractors here and exported to many Countries.
E27N = E-England 27-HP N-tractor

Based on the uprated Fordson N engine with new rear axle. 3F & 1R, options included pto & 3 point hitch (up & down no depth control). Engines included Fordson 4 cyl gas and gas/Kerosene, with option of factory built Perkins P6 6cyl diesel.

This one is hand start gas/kerosene with Smiths 3 point hitch
David

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Looks great David. :clap:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi David,

That is one fine looking tractor, but no electric start. Now that is scary for me. It reminds me of our E27N. It had electrics but they never worked. When I was a young boy only nine years old, I kept pestering my father to teach me how to drive the tractor. Many of my friends at school were driving and I wanted to as well. My father being a wise man said to me when you are big enough to start the tractor on your own, I will teach you how to drive. Well that was a challenge so a few weeks later I decided to give it a go. I got the petrol turned on, the choke set and managed to turn the engine over. Well imagine my shock when the tractor kicked back and sent me flying over the side fence. I dusted myself off and thought about what had just happened, The landing was not too bad but the two rows of barbed wire that I just flew over were too close for comfort so I decided to learn a lot more about this starting thing before I tried again. It wasn't until I was 10 years old that I spotted the secret, my father always left the tractor at maximum advance when he parked it in the shed, just to make sure it would kick like a mule if I tried to start it. When ever he started it he would always sneek around and retard the timing before starting. Once I had that figured out I gave it one more go, The tractor started on half a turn and I got my driving lesson. That beast never started so easily for me ever again. It always took until I was exhasted before it would go. I never did figure out that I was putting too much effort into it and turning it over too fast until after it was sold.

Regards, Frank.

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

:yeah: Great story Frank! :lol:

& it is a nice looking tractor David.

cheers,
Rick
'
Regards,
Rick