Can anybody tell me what fits into the end of the dash box?

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Aussie Frank
True Blue

Can anybody tell me what fits into the end of the dash box?

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hello,

I have an E27N TVO or Petrol Kero for us Aussies with full electrics, it is a 1951 model and it has a large hole with three small holes drilled around the circumference on the left hand side of the electrical box on the steering column. As I have never seen a working tractor with electrics, can anybody confirm that this was where the starter switch went. If so can anybody describe what that switch may have been like, did it switch full battery power to the starter directly as I suspect may have happened? Thanks in advance.

Regards, Frank.

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Can anyone tell me what fits into the end of the dash box?

Post by BarryM »

Frank,

You are quite correct in your thoughts. The Starter Switch does fit on the L.H. side of the large rectangle shaped box. Inside the box you will notice another two holes on the bottom, these are for the Battery Leads. This model did not have a solenoid. The Starter Switch was very similar to a Mini Minor Switch. I bought a couple of genuine (NOS) Fordson Starter Switches last year at Ballarat Swap Meet and I think I only paid about $30 each for them.
BarryM

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Barry,

I drove past the Ballarat swap meet this year but could not stop because I was shifting a friend's belongings from Melbourne to Nhill. I couldn't park in the car park with the motor bike in the back of the ute and expect it to be still there when I got back so I kept driving. Bugger! Any details on how to identify the switch would be greatly apreciated.

Regards, Frank.

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Can anyone tell me what fits into the end of the dash box?

Post by BarryM »

Frank,
I will have a look in the scrap heap and see if I can find a switch for you. It may not be any good, but it will show you what to look for. I still have the new switches as well, so I may part with one of them if you wanted a NOS Switch.

I haven't forgotten about the Raised PTO. It's just that I haven't looked for the old Advert as yet.
BarryM

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Barry,

Any switch broken or otherwise will be gladly accepted. I have time to look for a new one myself or work miracles and rebuild any nearly dead switch that comes my way. My petrol kero E27N is a long term project and knowing what you are looking for is 90% of the battle when you are looking for parts. I found two lenses and another headlight after I got my first one and I probably walked past several the year before at the Ballarat swap meet. I am looking forward to seeing that old raised PTO ad too.

Regards, Frank.