Fordson P6TA or P6M.

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Fordson P6TA or P6M.

Post by BarryM »

Hi Guys,
The Fordson Tractor Club of Australia has just had a two day Gathering. The first Collection we visited, the owner had 90 tractors on show. These were not all Fordson. On the Sunday we visited another three Collections, and this is the lead in to my question.

An E27N with what appeared to be a P6, turned out to be nothing like an ordinary P6. Firstly, it had no Welch Plugs (core plugs). The spots were there but not drilled and tapped. The Intake Manifold was only about 7 inches long. On the Left side of the engine the Oil Filter Head was not fitted to the Block because there was no machined pad to fix it to. The only thing I can think of, was it a P6M (Marine Engine).

Does anyone have a photo or information on the P6M. The correct engine in a Fordson E27N was a Perkins P6TA Mark 3N.
BarryM

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Barry,

I am no expert on Perkins diesels, but the P6 305 will fit in most places that a P6 TA (288) will fit and they seem to be very common in marine aplications. The P6 305 water pump will almost fit a P6 TA engine too apart from the fact it is about 10 mm taller than the TA pump and has a different base plate that bolts onto the head but would otherwise fit. Maybe that tractor had a P6 305 fitted. As far as I know all P6 288 blocks were interchangeable and identical. If it did have a P6 305 it would be one scary machine with potentially 100 hp +.

Regards, Frank.

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Fordson P6TA or P6M.

Post by BarryM »

Frank,
It wasn't a 6.305 motor fitted as they used an identical Intake Manifold as the P6. There really wasn't much difference apart from Bore 3.6 against 3.5. The 305 used a very thin steel/chrome liner, whereas P6 liner was thick enough to be re-bored.

A P6 Industrial Engine was rated at 83 BHP @ 2400 RPM.
A 6B 305 Industrial Engine was rated at 88 BHP @ 2400 RPM.

P6 Maximum Gross was 96 BHP @ 3000 RPM
6B 305 Maximum Gross was 102 BHP @ 3000 RPM.

Ebro Tractors in the 1970's used a 6.305 driving in to a Fordson Super Major Gearbox and Back End.
BarryM

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Barry,

I have been looking at all sorts of pictures of Perkins engines and none seem to fit. You are right the P6.305 uses the same long intake manifold as the P6TA. All the pictures of P6M engines also seem to have the same long intake. The P6.354 engines have the intake and exhaust on the same side in the pictures I have seen. The no welch plugs seems to be a real curiosity. The reason for the plugs is to fill in the holes that are needed to support the core in the mould when the block is cast. They must be there in some fashion. The only engine I can think of is the Perkins Panther, it is the direct predecessor of the P6 and may have bolted in it's place. I have never seen one and have no idea what it looks like. Some more details would be great. Things like, was the water pump attached to the radiator like the P6. Did it have an in line injection pump. Was the exhaust manifold the same as a P6 one and did it have the same cooling pipe arrangement. How wide was the fan belt etc. I have not definitely ruled out some form of P6M, I only have the P6 vehicle and the TA manuals, but all the photos seem to show standard heads with special exhaust manifolds and a very strange front flywheel arrangement for the P6M and all the blocks had welch plugs. I would have loved to see that machine myself. Hopfully next year I will get some time off on the weekends to let me do some more Fordson related activities.

Regards, Frank.