P6 FUEL PUMP TIMING

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Stevo
True Blue

P6 FUEL PUMP TIMING

Post by Stevo »

:roll: Hi everyone, like the new site. Can anyone advise as to which direction I need to move the fuel pump coupling to advance the timing on my P6. The fuel pump side of the coupling has the multiple gradients marked with a single pointer scribed on the drive side. Should I adjust the multiple marks down to advance or up? Miltons blowing a lot of white smoke so I'd like to aleavate if possible. He starts fine in warm weather but chuggs when its cold before starting. I'd really like to get it right. Please don't baffle me with how many degrees for this or that as I don't really understand the jargon but would really appreciate an up or down direction if any one knows.
Kind Regards,
Stevo

PS- Has the new site changed the way pictures are lodged? I think I've been a member for about 5 years and still can't work out how to post a picture. Pathetic isn't it? Also, whats a poll question?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Steve,
Judging from what I know of Perkins engines, if she starts without white smoke in warm weather, I would suspect the pre heating system rather than the timing. Diesels are pretty griticle as far as timing goes and if it was out, it would just not start.

You have also overhauled her recently. You might not have got a good carbon seal yet on the pistons. She may need some hard work.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Stevo
True Blue

Post by Stevo »

Hi Brian,
thanks for the reply, no there hasn't been any rebuild. my P6 starts easilly except when its cool and I mean Aussie cool ie. 17 degrees Centigrade not minus 17 Centergrade as in European cool. It smokes heavilly all the time even at start up. I admit that it hasn't done any work for a long time other than a short run around the back streets occasionally. As I live in the burbs so to speak, would laboring it up steep hills work it enough to show signs of improvement, and just in case it is the timing and for future reference, Do you know which direction to move the adjuster for advance or retard.

Kind Regards,

Stevo :lol:

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

Try moving the pump coupling in the direction it turns to advance.

Stevo
True Blue

Post by Stevo »

Hi RW,
Thanks mate, in the absence of any factual info I'll give your suggestion a go.

Kind Regards,

Steve