E27N P6 Halftrack weight

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Halftrack Hank
Not Quite Blue Yet

E27N P6 Halftrack weight

Post by Halftrack Hank »

I have finally finished restoring my P6 powered E27N halftrack and now have the dilemma of finding a vehicle to transport it to shows etc. Can anybody tell me of this tractor's weight? I was thinking of Chev/GMC K3500 or Ford F350 dual wheel pick up truck. I am told P6 Perkins powered E27N halftracks are quite rare. I have noticed that P6 powered Fordsons here in Australia seem to have slight differences to those in Britain, most noticeably the exhaust stack and the badge on the radiator grille above the Perkins badge.
Regards,
Halftrack Hank.
P.S. Oscar, can photos be posted on forum pages or do I have to email them to you?

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Hank,

The weight of the P6 Roadless Half Track when tested in Australia was 7672lbs or 3487kgs.
Yes, there was quite a few differences with our tractors here compared to the English model.
BarryM

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Hank,

Welcome to the board.

I do not know the exact weight, but you can bet it will be over 3 tons. With a trailer bet on towing 4 tons at least, so the Chev and the Ford will not be up to the task. You will need a proper truck GVM around 8 tons or 4 tons payload would be ideal.

I ended up buying an old Mitsubishi FM215 that was set up for carrying an excavator. GVM of 13.6 tons but with a minor mod to the tray I can carry 2 tractors. It never did any long distance runs so it only had 750,000 k on the clock and it runs like a beauty.

Probably cheaper than an F350 or GMC if you look hard enough. The only catch is that you will need a heavy vehicle license. Get one with a GVM less than 12 tons and you won't need a log book.

Regards, Frank.

P.S. It looks like Barry beet me to the post and almost exactly 3.5 tons is it.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

HH,
If your pictures are loaded onto Photobucket or some other photo site, just copy the image code and add it to your post. You will need to have a site that does not need a password and your image code would need [img]at%20the%20front%20and[/img] at the back.

[img]my%20picture%20code[/img]

for example.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian