CLM conversion information wanted

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Eric Schulz
True Blue

CLM conversion information wanted

Post by Eric Schulz »

Here's another tractor from our small collection of after-market engine conversions.

This has been Australianised. I would like to find an illustration of what the original French conversion looked like.
Missing from our collection, and likely to stay that way are Ailsa Craig, Hercules, Invincible, Vendeuvre, Waukesha and Wisconsin. We do have a Perkins L4 conversion and a factory P6 in E27Ns.

Eric
Last edited by Eric Schulz on Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Eric,
Welcome to the board and please keep those pictures coming.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Eric Schulz
True Blue

Post by Eric Schulz »

A belated "thank you" for the welcome.
As there is not a lot of incoming mail, I will ad a little to the story. This photo shows the axle and radiator casting which is different from the Perkins conversion. CLM chose to incorporate the bottom radiator tank.
We fitted a straight axle so that the tractor was not hanging down in front. This would have been less of a problem in the UK where 19 inch front wheels are used. In Australia all Fordsons used 16 inch. The N's were 6.00's and the E27N's were 7.50's. N's all used 24 inch rears, as did the first E27N's.

Eric

Last edited by Eric Schulz on Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Schulz
True Blue

Post by Eric Schulz »

To try out direct photo posting, herewith a shot of the CLM dashboard. The starter switch is a real beauty. A real man-sized job. The oil gauge is the real thing, but the ammeter is not. I have not been able to find out if Paris-Rhone made such instruments. Certainly, I have never seen one. Does anyone know what the French would have used in that era? Not previously mentioned is that the conversion lengthened the Fordson by 7 inches. Almost limousine proportions!

Edited by Mike
Last edited by Eric Schulz on Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Schulz
True Blue

Post by Eric Schulz »

Obviously I haven't got it right!

Eric

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc10 ... LMdash.jpg

Eric Schulz
True Blue

Post by Eric Schulz »

Mike, thanks again for your assistance. I promise to get this right!

This is a view of the other side of the engine (you probably guessed that already) which shows an Australian International tractor battery box. This is a good size for the job because it needs to hold two 12 volt batteries.

Eric

Eric Schulz
True Blue

Post by Eric Schulz »

It is said that the first sign of madness is talking to yourself. Well, I seem to be answering my own posts. At least I won't start an argument!
Now that I have the photo posting under control, here is a full profile shot. That chassis is really quit ugly and very low to the ground.

Eric

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hello Eric,

I am so glad you have the photo posting thing sorted. That is one wonderfull tractor you have. I only have a TVO E27N a P6 E27N and a L4 E27N. The only one that runs is the P6 and it is a bitsa, but it has to earn it's keep for the moment and it does everything I need of it. I never knew that so many different engines have been fitted to Fordsons. Keep those pictures coming.

Regards, Frank.

P.S. Do you know if the crank shaft out of a Massey Harris 745 will fit the L4 in an E27N? The crank in mine has been under water for over 10 years.