Calling all Perkins L4 experts

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Aussie Frank
True Blue

Calling all Perkins L4 experts

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hello all,

I am looking for some expert Perkins L4 advice. I have an E27N with a Perkins L4 conversion fitted that is in very sad shape. There was that much water in the sump that it was leaking out of the belt pulley seal. This leads me to my question.

Are any of the parts from a Massey Harris 745 with a Perkins L4 interchangeable with the E27N L4? I can get a complete engine out of a Massey Harris that may even run but the block looks a little different to me. I can’t be sure though as the two tractors are 500 km apart. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Frank.

Kav
Not Quite Blue Yet

Perkins L4

Post by Kav »

Hello Frank and all.
I have had a couple of Chamberlain's with the 4-270 motor which has the same basic block and sleeves as the L4 - only different heads, pistons and fuel pumps. The most common thing we have had is water leaking into the sumps from either perished rubber O-rings around the bottom of the sleeves or corrosion in the block where the O-rings seal. Sometimes, if the sleeves are in good condition otherwise, you can just fit new O-rings. I always use plenty of Loctite form-a-gasget all around the area around the O-rings and that part of the block where they seal. There are tell-tale drain holes in the bolts in the side of the block which should drain any water from between the O-rings, but sometimes the get blocked with dirt or even Match sticks to stop the drain off. There is every chance that the Massey block could be in the same condition, so I would check the Fordson motor out first. The sleeves and all parts are still available for all these motors. Best regards - Michael.

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Perkins L4

Post by BarryM »

Frank,
Information taken from L4 Tractor & Industrial Engines Part Book.
Part No. 0260017 Crankshaft Engine prior to 6032133.
Part No. 0260096 Crankshaft Engines 6032133 - 6057345.
Both these Parts now obsolete and replaced by Part No. 31315427.

I doubt there would be anything special about the Crankshaft in a Massey 745, but if anybody had a Parts Book for the L4 in the Massey, this could be verified.
BarryM

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Barry,

Thank you so very much for the crank shaft part numbers. The fact that there are two cranks probably explains the differences I saw in the blocks. I am guessing the motor in the Fordson is an early motor and the Massey Harris is a later motor. Do you know if things like the injector pump changed too?

Regards, Frank.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Barry,

I must say a big public thank you for the L4 parts list that you sent me. The help you have given to me and others like Stevo on this board has been amazing.

Being able to check the part numbers confirmed that the parts I needed were interchangeable between old and new and now I have that replacement motor. It even had clean oil in it and turns over too.

Regards, Frank.

Eric Schulz
True Blue

Post by Eric Schulz »

Our L4 the day I drove it home. It is painted a tasteful shade of olive drab!

Eric

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Eric,

I am green with envy :wink: You must have quite a collection of E27Ns. Do you know any of the history of your L4?

All of the tractors I have brought home involved lots of pushing pulling and the odd expletive that I am sure the next door neighbours children should not have heard. Even Marion my running P6 had enough water in the cylinders to take us out of water restrictions and birds nesting in the fuel tank when I got her. Hearing her run again 3 years later made every second of work and every dollar I spent on her worth it ten times over though. My L4 looked like this when found.

Just a little bit of work to do, but that is all the fun. This was a gift from friends of mine Geoff and Dave. They own one of those grey menaces and I think they are trying to tease me, but they know I love a challenge. I may just have the last laugh when it is running though. It has probably not been driven more than 100km as it spent all it's life pumping water. He has now officially been christened Larry.

Regards, Frank.

P.S. Once I have my breeding pair of perkins powered E27Ns together I am hoping that they will give birth to a lovely E27N crawler :wink: