A Wisconsin powered Fordson conversion?

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Eric Schulz
True Blue

A Wisconsin powered Fordson conversion?

Post by Eric Schulz »

HV McKay was one of Australia’s largest agricultural machinery manufacturers for a fair bit of the 20’th century. In 1924 they produced a self propelled header (combine in foreign countries) powered by a Fordson engine. When Fordson production ended in 1928, the headers were fitted with a Wisconsin engine.

http://mview.museum.vic.gov.au/paimages ... /19005.htm

Or the engine on its own

http://mview.museum.vic.gov.au/paimages ... /18996.htm

Now, take a look at this photo

http://mview.museum.vic.gov.au/paimages ... /19004.htm

It shows what looks like a 6 cylinder engine with Fordson attachments. The radiator is obviously drawn in, as the proportions are not right. There is a belt pulley at the rear of the engine, not something used on headers. The most intriguing parts are the sump, which has radius rod lugs, and the front axle/radiator mounting. Now, unless these engines were originally designed as a conversion kit for the Fordson tractor, why put the lugs on the sump. These were not needed on the header.

Can anyone identify this engine? Is it a Wisconsin? What model, size, etc? Was there a conversion kit made by someone using a Wisconsin engine? Did McKay make a conversion kit? Any answers? Anyone? Lots o’ questions!

You will notice a lug on the sump of the 4 cylinder engine. This had a fore and aft stay attached to it. It does not line up with the axle pivot pin, so not used as a radius rod mount.

Eric

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Eric Schulz
True Blue

Post by Eric Schulz »

Because of of copyright issues, I didn't post these photos, just the links. I do not like all this copyright stuff, but I can't afford to fight them. How someone can claim copyright to something they did not produce in the first place is beyond me.
The bottom photo is the interesting one.

Eric

Kav
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kav »

Hi Eric, Between 1963 and 1967 I had a Sunshine 14 foot Auto header powered by a 4 cylinder Wisconsin Motor. In wet conditions or a heavy crop, the motor was very much underpowered. Probably because of this they experimented with different motor conversions. Some were fitted with the Ford V8 flat head motor and they probably would have also tried the 6 cylinder Continental or Chrysler motor which was fitted to the Massey-Harris 102 Senior Tractors. The 6 cylinder in the photo resembles those motors. They definitely did have the Lugs on the Sump as they had a support rod from the lugs across to the header frame like a torsion rod. The crank handle at the front as well as the pulley at the back is not part of the header set-up as you cranked the header at the side of the right angle gearbox, where the circular plate is in the photo. The engine driven Sunshine hay baler had a similar 4 cylinder motor with a front crank-handle. Best regards - Michael