Fordson E27N Halftrack

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Halftrack Hank
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson E27N Halftrack

Post by Halftrack Hank »

I have just purchased the very same 1949 Fordson E27N petrol/kerosene powered Halftrack that i missed out on purchasing 28 years ago.I am seeking some information regarding paint colour of the tracks,sprockets and idlers.The front wheels(steel),i am sure must be orange.Can anyone please help with the track gear colour for the Australian market?
Just a small update on my last forum topic where i was seeking the weight of my 1952 P6 powered Halftrack so as to find an appropriate way of moving about the two Halftracks to shows etc.My vehicle of choice is a 1962 Ford(of course)Thames Trader,8 ton diesel truck,the cab over model.The truck is currently being restored and when completed,will be displayed at a local heritage park and machinery shows.

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi Hank

Sorry, but I have no paint codes for australian tractors, but a halftrack e27n is very intersting.

A 8 tonne truck should have no problems carrying the half track I think.

Do you have photographs?
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Halftrack Hank
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson E27N Halftrack

Post by Halftrack Hank »

Hello Emiel,
I am going to pick up the petrol/kero halftrack tomorrw(our time),a 650km round trip.I live on the lower west coast of Western Australia on the outskirts of a city called Bunbury,the tractor is at present in the wheatbelt in a E/NE direction near a town called Corrigin.
As soon as i get back to Bunbury i will see if i can fathom out how to post some photos.

Regards,
Hank.

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Hank,

Sprockets, Idlers and the main frame are Fordson Royal Blue (same as the tractor).
Track chain is unknown. Nobody seems to remember that far back. I have seen them done in black and another was a dark grey, and both looked quite good. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the track gear was tractor blue as well.

Can you post the Roadless Numbers of your two units.
BarryM

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Caterpillar crawlers came though with Yellow tracks, but the paint wore off quickly. I bet barry M is right. They were most likely painted blue with the rest of the undercarriage. Or maybe they were not painted at all, but not likely. Just an educated guess. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Shubys Tractor Farm
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Fordson E27N Halftrack

Post by Shubys Tractor Farm »

G'day Hank. Good on ya - quite an achievement. I have lots of old Fordsons, and would you believe the very first tractor I ever bought was a Fordson e27N petrol kero HALFTRACK and this was in about 1976. It cost me the handsome some of $60.00 and a friend helped me tow it out of a scrap heap on a farm near SNOWTOWN S.A. It was buried half deep in drift sand and the tracks were frozen. BUT by the time we had towed it about 150 m to the lowloader, tracks began to move and then freely. Motor was pulled down and found to be almost like new. Water had infiltrated exhaust valves. These were cut-out by using an angle grinder through the guides and valves and knocked out of block and new guides and valves fitted. Now runs perfectly and has been on disaplay at Royal Adelaide Show a few times and was carted to national rally at Bendigo by our Club Barossa Valley Machinery Pres Soc. Previous owner had bought it new from Ford dealer at BRINKWORTH S.A. and had used it only for pulling out boxthorn bushes on his Shark. Found it of no other use on the farm so was moved to the scrap heap as it took up shed space. I restored it that year exactly as per origional.
Back to colours. Mine is:-Tractor all deep Fordson Blue. Front wheels, rear drive sprockets and rear trailing sprockets were all origionally the deep Orange used on Fordsons. (Not quite red) Centre of each wheel was bright Yellow, and the word FORDSON DOWN SIDE OF RADIATOR WAS ORANGE. NOW ONE LAST THING THAT ALMOST EVERY RESTORER MISSES OUT ON - The word FORDSON on each side of the radiator and the yellow centres of each wheels had a small YELLOW FLICK OF PAINT OVER IT - OVER EACH LETTER OF THE WORD FORDSON, as if you were using a very old paint brush with only a few bristols left on it.
Most of my other fordsons I HAVE of this era have Yellow wheels as this is what was fitted by Adelaide importers and Yellow wheels are common all over SA. much AGAINST the statements from others from interstate saying that yellow wheels are totally incorrect. HOWEVER, my uncle from WUNKAR S.A. BOUGHT 7 FORDSON E27N's brand new and all had Yellow wheels. I have a e27N COUNTY FULLTRACK and that has yellow idler wheels front and Yellow sprockets at rear - all origionaL. If yellow was the wheel colour used, (AS on my totally origional units) Orange was the colour of the wheel centres, and on the radiator FORDSON word, but this time with a YELLOW flick of paint over each letter and wheel centres.
I cannot confirm what colours were used in WA. My comments on colours applies only to what I know and substantiate here in SA. BUT a Fordson e27n in deep royal blue with yellow wheels is a stunning unit- many have won awards here in SA restored in this manner.
Best of luck with yr unit. Hope this helps. (I bet there will be heaps of replies contradicting what I have told you - lets see what happens. )
Shubys Tractor Farm.

Halftrack Hank
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Halftrack Hank »

Happy New Year everyone. Thank you for all your replies regarding my Halftracks. Unfortunately both Halftracks have the serial number plate missing on the rear track frame and there is no stamping visible in the track frame also with any serial numbers.
Below are some photos of the two Halftracks, the first P6 (E27N) is before and after photos, the second is my recent acquisition before 28 years ago when I just missed out on purchasing this tractor and the tractor on the day I picked it up just prior to Christmas 2010.
The final photo is of the truck I have purchased to shift these 2 tractors about to shows and fairs. The truck is currently being restored also.
Regards to you all,
Halftrack Hank :beer:

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Hank,

Re the Serial Numbers. Have a look in the position where the ID Plates were originally and there should be four numbers stamped in to the main frame.
BarryM

Halftrack Hank
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Halftrack Hank »

Hi Barry,
Both tractors have unfortunately sustained enough corrosion between the Roadless Traction i.d. plate (when it was attached to tractor) and the rear track frame,that no sign whatsoever remains of these numbers that you have mentioned.The half track assemblies on my tractors do vary though,the P6(tractor serial number 1186592) has grease caps bolted to the idler hubs by five 3/8"bolts.The kero/petrol(tractor serial number 1118366)has just one large bolt with a large washer with a lip approximately 1 1/2" wide attached to the centre of the idler hubs.
The petrol/kero tractor is now undergoing its restoration,i have only to replace the LHR axle seal and both idler roller bushings(or bearings?)then its off to be sandblasted and repainted in 2 pac to match its stablemate(the P6).I will post some photos when the project is finished. :help

Regards,
Halftrack Hank.