Red E27N

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Red E27N

Post by henk »

In this months copy of the magazine Pionier from our Oldtimer Tractor and Engine Club there’s an article about the selling of red coloured E27N tractors.
Earlier a member has asked some questions about this subject.
Another member has done some investigations and came up with this:

Around 1950 all Fordson dealers were send next to the normal bleu majors also one or more red ones, with the message to sell also the red one. There even was a dealer that ordered even more red ones.

The article states that this could be to try out of the red one could be more popular than the normal colour, because there were so many of them they became to ordinary.

Anyone heard of this story before?
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Ford obviously made an error! They should have been orange!!!! :D :run:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi Henk,

I also read this story, and when I combine it with all things I've read about Ford and Fordson production methods I can not believe these tractors were painted red in Dagenham.

If the story is true, what I think it is, then maybe Ford in Amsterdam resprayed them in the red colour before sending them to their dealers.

If this trick has been used all over the world, there should be more information available on the subject, and there isn't much more as that what was in the Pionier. In Holland Ford had far more competition then it had in other parts of the world, because we have also tractors from Germany, France and Scandinavia imported here in large numbers.

What's your idea Henk?

Regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

henk

Post by henk »

Maybe that’s the beginning of the orange grills over here. :run:

Emiel,

That’s the reason I put this on the forum to see if someone in Britain knows anything about it.

You could be right, it sounds plausible. IHC was a big concurrent at that time with factories at France Germany and England. And a lot of German brands were red coloured for export to Holland.
Kind regards, Henk

Tim W
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tim W »

Weren't the industrial models red as standard?
- the ones I've seen have been
1947 E27N, some grey ones and a 1953 AJS 350...

henk

Post by henk »

Tim,

As far as I understand these were agriculture models.

I would guess the industrial version would be yellow or normal bleu.
Kind regards, Henk

sylke1
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Red E27N

Post by sylke1 »

My grandfather had a red e27N whith a white grill

Around 1984 it went to the district Ford tractor dealer and they resprayed the tractor in the original blue color
I think it is stil there

I realy would like to have it back and make it runnig again although it had a slow speed topgear

Cheers
Schluter SH 25, 1957.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Not sure about where you guys are. Over here, around the 1960's, slow moving road equipment was painted yellow for visibillity reasons. This is why Fordsons, International crawlers, Olivers, John Deere, and may others were all painted yellow instead of there original farm colours we were use to seeing. Before then, in the 1950's and back, everyone had their own colours. A lot of equipment was repainted so that it could be hired for road work. I think it was more of a highway workers union thing as a "green oliver" was not as visible to a fast approaching vehicle as a Yellow Caterpillar or a bright orange dump truck. Farm equipment was exempt, but needed an Orange slow moving vehicle triangle attached. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

sylke1
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by sylke1 »

Here is a you tube link from a red fordson E27N

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R4dosjUrSY

It realy looks like the one my grandfather had, exept my grandfathers one had a cab on it
Schluter SH 25, 1957.

fordgek
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fordgek »

Hello, i am Jans Stevens, and i am the owner of the red E 27 N what you see in YouTube film. What i now about this red E27N, that is painted red here in the netherlands for the rijksdienst Noordoostpolder. They buy 75 red E27N for work in the Noordoostpolder. That is what old employees from the rijksdienst me told.
Greetings Jans

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

Hi,

I visited the JCB factory in the UK last year and every now and again on the assembly line you would see a different coloured JCB amongst all the usual yellow colour, the guide explained that these were special order machines for some Local Authorities and/or customers specific requirements. The Red E27N at that time would have been possibly for the same reasons.

Regards,

BarryT