What should I look for

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
BarryT
True Blue

What should I look for

Post by BarryT »

Hi,

What should I look for on a Fordson F prior to making an offer, it's a non runner and has been for a considerable number of years, it's barn stored now but has been outside in a coastal location for many years, I'm led to believe it's not seized up!! I'm not even sure whether it's complete or not, hoping to see it soon. What are the most important things to look for so as not to waste good money on a load of junk.

Photos would be an advantage so that I can check whether it's complete or not, any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

BarryT

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: What should I look for

Post by Dandy Dave »

First things to look for, Buzz coils in the box and timer as original, or converted to a mag. Carburetor is there. Waterbath air cleaner there and complete. Be sure the engine turns. Condition of the manifold. Check how much play is in the steering box. Does it have fenders? Be sure the block is not cracked. Does the radiator hold water? Still on original Iron wheels, or has it been converted to cut downs? If the rear wheels have 6 spokes and and radiator sides have square holes it is an early prodution tractor and worth a little more. If 7 spokes in the wheels and smooth radiator side, it is a later tractor. Also, look at the bottom of the fuel tank and inside to see that it is not rusted though and that it will hold fuel.

Here is a good website with a lot of photos. http://www.google.com/images?q=fordson+ ... 59&bih=846

Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

Dandy Dave,

Thanks for the information, most helpful, I've got a few good photos printed from that website which will help me when I go to have a look at this tractor.

Is there any particular spot on the block to check for cracks, do they tend to crack in any specific areas like some other tractors that I know of??

Regards,

BarryT

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

They tend to crack on the Buzz coil box side along the mid section. There still are a lot of F's over here. I understand that they are not as common over there where you are. I have owned about 4 though the years. Two ran, and a couple of parts tractors. I don't have any at the moment. They can be a Kantankerous Critter. The most original one I had was near the end of production and had the heat riser manifold and carburetor. One day it would start and run fine, the next it would not. Probably why it was in such good condition. We had a 1923 and put a 1950's chevy 6 cylinder carburetor on it. That one started and ran reliably with the automobile carburetor. One secret is that you have to keep the Buzz coils dry. If they get any moisture, they foul. The old timers use to bring them in the house and put them on a shelve above the wood stove to keep them dry. One good thing is that ignition stuff is shared with the model T Ford, and that stuff is available. We have a place over here called Langs Model T parts and they ship world wide. Good luck in your venture. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

Dandy Dave,

Thanks for that, much appreciated, I will let you know how I get on.

BarryT